X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comicmike
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 22, 2009

Mego's latest female body construction & development

I finally opened my DST/EMCE Bride of Frankenstein, because I guessed she appeared quite short; about the same height as a new female 8"-scale Mego. I thought to myself that wouldn't it be neat if there had been a similar design before the newest 2018 releases. I disassembled the clothes and parts to study the physique's stature, and saw how comparable she was to the newest Mego offerings. The Bride's hips are skinnier, because her pelvis is shorter (especially compared to classic Mego women figures) and may possibly have wider leg holes, or maybe I see leaner upper legs there as well (perhaps similar to parts of the Wondergirl teen shape). Her torso seems quite short as a one-piece combining the ab-ball; I think the torso design reminds me of the Lili Ledy torsos.

So, next I opened my Big Bam Pow/EMCE Fembot, released that same year, and saw it was comparable. The hips are more like the original 70s female body, but with that great Dr Mego adaptation. She seemed to blend some elements of the female Wondergirl scale (wouldn't you know it, I temporarily misplaced my Mego Wondergirl to also compare: d'oh!; but I even ligned her up against a shorter Wee Win Heroes of the Kingdom female body, with those cool jointed arms and the lower male teen hips & leg workings). I find how the knee joint designs kept changing with each incarnation of such interest.

It is so happily curious to see how the EMCE female bodies progressed into the new newest, shorter Mego design. I believe that EMCE Bride is really the most comparable in stature to the newest female Mego figure. What neat parts of our culture that has unfolded here. I love discovering artistic and structural details like this. IMO, the design and construction is incredibly well done: A natural progression from classic to contemporary. I cannot wait to see if or when the bandless bodies come into existence.

Last edited by comicmike; Jan 20, '19, 12:12 PM.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Inter. Thanks!

I prefer the knee joints of the CTVT (and I assume original Mego) to the Doc Mego-to-Mego 2.0 evolution figures because you cannot see a knee pin, which makes a difference with bare legged characters. If it wasn’t for the tension issue, the CTVT female body would be almost perfect.
    Last edited by TRDouble; Jan 21, '19, 5:22 PM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Thanks for posting that - great reference.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

IMO, the Bride is the best design.

Comment

• darkbros
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 3, 2012

Good job Mike!!!
          Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
          https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Re: Bride of Frankenstein, addendum

"...seemed to blend some elements of the female Wondergirl scale (wouldn't you know it, I temporarily misplaced my Mego Wondergirl to also compare..."

Original Wondergirl, body comparisons:

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

The pics also show the big problem with the modern female bodies: first thing my eyes go to is that truncated torso. They shortened the body by chopping the waist ball and the chest and not touching the legs, and the result is really bad proportions, a really noticeable problem if the figure is wearing anything but a skirt. That and the round shoulders/bowed arms is why I've only been using the new ladies' bodies for kitbashes of Trek figures. I would honestly not even consider these to make a super-hero figure; I'd go with an FTC body first. They need to go back and add a little length to the torso and shorten the legs a bit to even out the proportions, and fix the arms. Original bodies are sadly still better, even with the height problem. I so want to have the irresistible urge to clear out every figure at my local Targets for custom fodder, but both the current male and female bodies need some fixing before that could happen.

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

I like the bodies used for the European Supergirl figure. The torso and waist ball were one unit, but the torso was at least a centimeter longer than the original Mego body. Whenever a ES comes up on Ebay, I do my best to grab it.
                JediJaida

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎