X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

A TRUE comic book legend retires...

My love for this artist's work has been and known in the past. Probably one of THE GREATEST artists of all time within the short comic book history...George Perez is retiring from comic books. He will be doing only 6 comic cons this year and one make up comic con in 2020 and then that's it. Anyone that has ever met him knows how humble and likeable he is. He charged practically nothing for his convention sketches and was like a kid in a candy shop with almost every fan he talked to or sketched for. Never charged for his autograph and was a just an absolute pleasure to meet and talk to. I implore anyone that hasn't met him to try and get to the 6 shows he will be at this year. Thanks George for putting the ooomph back into the Teen Titans. For taking the reins on The Avengers 3 times over their 50 + years that they've been around. For having the guts to step away from the mainstream and go indy (Crossgen/Malibu/Deluxe and others) Your talent will be sorely missed in the comic book industry. Your humbling presence will also be missed at Comic Cons. Thanks for all that you've done...It will never be forgotten by this fan and many others.

From George's site/facebook:

To all my loyal and kind fans who have supported me throughout the decades,

In recent months, there has been a great deal of speculation as to the future of my career, my health, my ability to draw and my future convention appearances. As a result, I would like to clear up everything first hand so that, hopefully, any rumors, speculation and misinformation can be laid to rest.

With respect to future published work in comics and such ... while I know it’s been no secret that I’ve been dealing with a myriad number of health issues (diabetes, heart ailments, vision issues, etc.), they have indeed have forced me to, for all intents and purposes, formally retire from the business of creating new comic stories.

As for home commission requests, I’m afraid that my retirement must now extend to privately commissioned drawings as well. While I am gratified that all of the customers who have received their pieces were more than pleased with the results, some even consequently commissioning more of them, it’s just becoming too much of a strain on my eyes to produce the fully rendered ink and pencil-tone pieces on a quality level that justifies the price I’m being paid for them.

In regards to convention sketches, I will need to cut back on those as well. While I will no longer sketch at the conventions themselves, I will, through my art agent Spencer Beck of The Artists Choice, be taking orders for 5 ( FIVE ) con-style head sketches, per convention day that I am in attendance which will be done at home to be collected at the conventions. Fans placing orders must be personally present to pick up the piece , NO PROXIES. The price for these will be a good deal pricier than in the past, going for $100 each, but please take some solace that all the monies I earn for these sketches, as well as my appearance fees, will be donated to various charities. To place an order, or for initial details, please contact Spencer / The Artist's Choice directly at Spencerbck@aol.com. Any changes or further announcements will be made by Spencer and myself on his website theartistschoice.com/perez.htm and on my fan website george-perez.net

Furthermore, for those that are interested … although I will only be attending about six conventions this year and one make up convention in 2020 ( *** see below for complete schedule ) 2019 will more than likely be my last year touring this great land meeting so many great fans. As the next decade begins, I have two shows, Dragon Con and Fetish Con that have personal meaning to me which I intend to attend yearly unless circumstances prevent it … but, for all intents, 2019 will wind down that part of my career as well. The good news is, even though I will not be sketching at the shows, I will still be autographing and be available for photo ops, and, as has been my policy throughout my career, I will not be charging for either.

In closing, please don’t feel sorry for me about all these life and career changes. Thankfully I earn more than enough income through royalties to have a comfortable life wherein I may never need to work again. Unless, of course, something really tempting comes along and I’m given sufficient lead time. Hey, you never know.

Long story short, I will be just fine. I’ve had a wonderfully good run doing exactly what I have wanted to do since I was a child. Now I can sit back and watch the stuff I helped create entertain whole new generations. That’s a pretty nice legacy to look back on.

And so much of that is thanks to all of you, the GREATEST fans in the world. I am humbled and forever grateful.

Wishing you all a safe, happy and healthy 2019 and beyond,

UPDATE: Mr. Perez will not be accepting requests until approximately 30 days before each specific show. Sketches will be approved at one per person, family or address. First come, First serve. So , please check back 30 days before the show. He will only be doing 9 x 12 head shots and they must be paid for in full at the time the order is accepted.

2019 CONVENTION SCHEDULE

AMAZING COMIC CON ALOHA - FEBRUARY 22 to 24, 2019 - www.amazingcomicconaloha.com

C2E2 - MARCH 22 to 24, 2019 - www.c2e2.com

EAST COAST COMIC CON - MAY 17 to 19, 2019 - www.eastcoastcomicon.com

NIAGARA FALLS COMICS CON - JUNE 7 to 9, 2019 - niagarafallscomiccon.com

TERRIFICON - AUGUST 9 to 11, 2019 - www.terrificon.com ( FRIDAY ONLY )

FETISH CON - AUGUST 9 to 11, 2019 - http://fetishcon.com ( SATURDAY & SUNDAY ONLY )

DRAGON CON - AUGUST 29 to SEPTEMBER 2, 2019 - www.dragoncon.org
  • Obi
    • Feb 1, 2010

George Perez is my favorite artist of all time. His work for DC throughout the 80's was breathtaking in both its quality and volume. His attention to detail was staggering without losing the best elements of comic book style. He seemed to do a dozen covers a month plus his regular assignments.

I am grateful that he shared so much of his talent and himself with us. While I am sad to see him retire I am glad that he can do so with comfort and care.

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

One of the best there will ever be...I hope he enjoys a happy and healthy retirement.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

He seems a genuinely nice person, I wish him the best. New Teen Titans and Crisis made me a fan forever.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• newlyknighted
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 21, 2010

I met the great George Perez at a local Texas show in 2017, and he could not have been nicer to me and my friends. His prolific output made me a very happy reader for a long time, and still does when I stare at his artwork and my Teen Titans poster from the 80's.
          I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

Also gonna miss those Hawaiian Shirts he would wear at the comic cons. You see one of those shirts and you knew George was in the house.

Comment

• Marvelmania
              A Ray of Sunshine
              • Jun 17, 2001

One of the best ever no doubt

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

Gonna miss the man and his work. A happy retirement, he deserves it.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 8, 2015

FETISH CON??? George?????

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                    FETISH CON??? George?????
                    Yup he's on the website, I'm not sure why the rest of the guests appear to be webcam people who take their clothes off.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

One of my all time favourite comic book artists. Hope he has a happy retirement.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

This is what I wrote on the classic comic forum I am a member of...

George Perez was my first favorite comic book artist. I've mentioned a time or two before how many times I used tracing paper and tried to recreate the image of Thor on the splash page of Avengers #162, and that you could see the pencil grooves in the pages of my childhood copy. Perez at DC was what got me to first show some interest in DC after being a Marvel zombie kid for the most part and led me to picking up Crisis on Infinite Earths #9 on the racks of a 7-11 if the aftermath of Hurricane Gloria when we had no power and I was picking up stacks of comics to read and kill time. That led me into a deep dive into DC, and New Teen Titans and his JLA run were among the first back issue purchases I made of DC books. I can't remember a time where I didn't love George's work in comics. As I have gotten older and explored more comics, there are some other artists I have come to appreciate more than Perez, but George will always have a special place in comics for me as my first favorite comic artist. I wish him well in his retirement and I still have a huge body of his work I can revisit and still enjoy his work.

-M

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

I can't imagine my comics experience as kid without his work on The New Teen Titans.

Comment

• Steeler80
                            Mayor of Strunk
                            • Jun 29, 2001

He was the first comic artist whose work I actively sought out and would buy a book to just see his artwork. I met him a few years ago, and like has been said, he was a genuine pleasure to talk to. His New Teen Titans remains one of my favorite runs ever.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

There are maybe 2 or 3 artists that I follow and get whatever they do. George Perez is one I will literally get ANYTHING he does if it is affordable (The FF #1 variant was stupidly priced out at over $200 when it came out being a 1:250 variant) I even bought the Hellcat #1 variant Perez Cover for $10 when it came out...and the interior art almost made me throw up that's how bad it was.

It is mindblowing when you go through and look at all he has done besides Teen Titans and Avengers.

Project Pegasus in Marvel Two In One
                              Crisis on Infinite Earths
                              More than one run on The Avengers
                              Re-Imagining/Re-starting Wonder Woman
                              Justice League Of America
                              Brave and Bold (The last series)
                              Art Director for Cross Gen Publications
                              Ultraforce
                              Deluxe Wally Woods Thunder Agents
                              Going to independent companies when the money/work wasn't as rich as it was with the Big 2
                              Sachs and Violins
                              and the list goes on and on.

I know that there are a few books I missed picking up...even if they were just covers (Justice League Arkham Asylum being one of the covers I missed) There will be a huge hole in my comic book universe without George's input into comics. I will probably make East Coast Comic Con and Terrific Con this year. Hopefully he will also be booked for Baltimore...but it looks like he will not be doing anymore bookings. If you can make it to any of the shows that he listed in his statement...go and say thanks. It's what I tell anyone that goes to a Comic Con to meet their comic heroes. George will make it worth your while with just the smile that will come across his face when you thank him. Top 3 artists/creators to meet if you can. Very engaging and very humble.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎