Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

I'll be skipping the Invisible Al Bundy. But will be buying at least two Nosferatu, as well as Drac, Frank, and Werewolf 2.0. I'm not a slasher fan, so I'll be skipping anything from films of that nature. I also like the Elvis figure, Bruce Lee, and the new Hendrix. Really, I feel like Mego is listening. We're getting some solid licenses, and some good sculpts. The reissues are different enough that the double dip isn't too bad.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Your version looks really good but it's too Universal. It looks like Mego is trying to be as generic as possible to avoid paying Universal again.
      when did they pay Universal?
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        when did they pay Universal?
        They didn't, that was the point. They are going the generic route to avoid paying the Universal Monsters license fee. It still don't get how the first Frankenstein flew under the radar. That's clearly supposed to be the Universal Frank and they even had Karloff's pic on the card. In the past Sara Karloff generally protected her father's image quite fiercely.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

They could title it "HG Wells Invisible Man", change the eyewear and cover the nose.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Werewolf
            They didn't, that was the point. They are going the generic route to avoid paying the Universal Monsters license fee. It still don't get how the first Frankenstein flew under the radar. That's clearly supposed to be the Universal Frank and they even had Karloff's pic on the card. In the past Sara Karloff generally protected her father's image quite fiercely.
            Well you said pay Universal again, to me that meant that they did for something already. I thought they may have gotten nabbed on Frankie and I missed it.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              Well you said pay Universal again, to me that meant that they did for something already. .
              I said avoid paying. You know, Like, not paying them for a second time. I will try to be more clear.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                Career Member
                • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
                I'm just going to add... It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the new MegoCorp is enlisting the talents of members of our fan community.

That being the case, I'd seriously like to throw my most highest endorsement behind Dwayne being brought in to do card artwork. The man is a genius with a brush. A real, physical paintbrush! Please consider bringing him in on the team. He's one of the best kept secrets, and he's even demonstrating a talent for toy photography as well. Plus, he's a heck of a good guy.
                Dwayne didn't illustrate anything on these, correct? That Nosferatu is highly regarded and well paid illustrator Ed Repka, working for Super7, and the clearer logo is S7's too, I believe. Francesco Francavilla illustrated the Invisible Man for Mondo under license from Universal, and that's Uni's trademarked IM logo. Dwayne's design choices are nearly the same as the existing ones, he's just using wildly expensive and unobtainable assets.

I'm curious to know if the knocked-out Nosferatu image Mego is using is for copyright purposes (transforming the photo in order to obtain a copyright). Anyway, is Dwayne also an illustrator, and are there other examples of his work available? I'm not arguing against improving Mego's card art, I just wonder if it can be done given whatever their time and money constraints are.
                Last edited by darkmonkeygod; Jan 20, '19, 3:04 AM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Yeah anyone can slap stolen art onto the packages. I am guessing Mego doesn't want to pay anything for art.

I'd love to see them have some more original sketches and painted cards, but they probably don't see the value.
                  Last edited by ODBJBG; Jan 20, '19, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Wow !!!

Love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                      Career Member
                      • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                      Yeah anyone can slap stolen art onto the packages. I am guessing Mego doesn't want to pay anything for art.

I'd love to see them have some more original sketches and painted cards, but they probably don't see the value.
                      As proof of concept (finely realized images are more striking than not), they're beautiful. And a no-brainer. I doubt the budget is there for much in the way of art direction, much less art, and Paul has let us in on time being a heavy factor with at least the inaugural year's production. Assuming this is final art, this series looks to have been packaged in haste. Does the Dracula figure even have the word "Dracula" on the card?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

I don't see the value either since all mine end up in the recycle bin. I'd be happy with baggies and header cards like old rack toys.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                          Dwayne didn't illustrate anything on these, correct? That Nosferatu is highly regarded and well paid illustrator Ed Repka, working for Super7, and the clearer logo is S7's too, I believe. Francesco Francavilla illustrated the Invisible Man for Mondo under license from Universal, and that's Uni's trademarked IM logo. Dwayne's design choices are nearly the same as the existing ones, he's just using wildly expensive and unobtainable assets.

I'm curious to know if the knocked-out Nosferatu image Mego is using is for copyright purposes (transforming the photo in order to obtain a copyright). Anyway, is Dwayne also an illustrator, and are there other examples of his work available? I'm not arguing against improving Mego's card art, I just wonder if it can be done given whatever their time and money constraints are.
                          Correct...I did not illustrate anything. These were real quickie concepts whipped up in less than fifteen minutes. If I were to do any ACTUAL art for Mego it would be original, or use photos in the public domain. Nobody owns Nosferatu images. Any copyrights on those expired decades ago.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Just for the record, I wasn't "stealing" anybody's art. These were just quickie concepts whipped up in under 15 minutes to show what could have been. The painted Nosferatu image is from the Super7 figure and I deliberately used it as an example of beautifully painted artwork designed to sell a retro style figure.

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                              Anyway, is Dwayne also an illustrator, and are there other examples of his work available?
                              Yes, I am, and here are some of my paintings.

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

Yes, D is legit. He's done awesome mockups in the past.

I think there's more going on with the card design then let on. For example, Doc confirmed the Trek cards are based on Pars new style guides, so all TOS products will.have that uniform aesthetic. Otherwise, my guess is we would have gotten something more Mego Trek ala EMCE.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎