• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

New Life and New Civilizations: Exploring Star Trek Comics

This book looks neat.

On 8 September 1966, visionary futurist Gene Roddenberry introduced the world to a science-fiction TV series that dared to go where none had gone before. Star Trek, with its progressive stance on civil rights, explored not only strange new worlds in the final frontier of space, but also the human condition, revealing the heights to which humans could soar, while exposing the ugliness of racism, sexism, and war. Though canceled after only three seasons, Trek soon returned in syndication, spawning a cult phenomenon that has since expanded to include four follow-up TV series, an animated cartoon, a dozen movies (and counting), and a staggering number of ancillary novels, short stories, and comic books. Once deemed a network failure, Trek survived to become one of the most influential franchises of all time.

Licensed Star Trek fiction has played no small part in that success. Trek comics have enjoyed almost continuous publication since 1967, spanning more than a thousand issues and storylines to date, from Gold Key / Western, City Magazines / IPC, Marvel Comics, Power Records, the L.A. Times Syndicate, DC Comics, Malibu Graphics, WildStorm Productions, Tokypop, IDW Publishing, and Wired Magazine. Quality has varied, from hilariously off the mark (Gold Key’s efforts and weekly British strips) to wonderfully reverential (DC’s longstanding titles and IDW’s current run). But from one era to the next, the illustrated voyages of the starship Enterprise have continued Star Trek‘s ongoing mission as a Wagon Train to the stars.

New Life and New Civilizations: Exploring Star Trek Comics examines the long history of Star Trek in the four-color realm, featuring insightful essays from popular Trek comic scribes and novelists, as well as other subject-matter experts. After almost 50 years, the human adventure is still just beginning — find out why Star Trek comics have not only lived long, but prospered.
    Attached Files
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • newlyknighted
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 21, 2010

It looks like the red shirt has his afternoon planned out with a Star Trek happy meal? Probably a tribute to ST:TMP happy meal? I love this cover with no sense of urgency in the foreground, and utmost urgency racing towards him. Even Spock looks alarmed.
    I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by newlyknighted
      I love this cover with no sense of urgency in the foreground, and utmost urgency racing towards him. Even Spock looks alarmed.
      Well, he is sitting on a Horta, right?

Comment

• newlyknighted
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 21, 2010

^ I totally spaced out on the Horta he was sitting on Sprytel. I guess I was focused on the happy meal and the comic book. I love this clever artwork just the same.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

This looks really interesting, I'll have to check my local comic shop to see if they have it available.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

"No Chair I". Lol

Comment

• newlyknighted
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 21, 2010

That is funny! Good one Sprytel.

Comment

• Obibob
                Museum Super Collector
                • Jul 27, 2007

This book actually came out in 2014, but it’s a great read nevertheless!
                Last edited by Obibob; Jan 18, '19, 4:49 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

I always liked the Gold Key comic books because they are so off the mark. That made them more fun and interesting to me.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i have several TPB of the gold key run. was just recently thinking of rereading them. I remember always enjoying them.

this books looks interesting, will have to see if I can get a copy. looks like Kelsey Grammer on the Horta

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I just ordered a copy on Amazon. $16.99

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I was always pretty fond of Peter David's run on the Star Trek DC Comic during the era of the movies.

Another favourite is Chris Claremont's and Adam Hughe's graphic novel

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

I recall always liking Pete David's comics and his novels. as an adult now seeing him asking fans for money I think he is an *******. but either way, I enjoyed his writing back in the day. I got this book and am reading it, enjoying it so far too. I might have to actually go back and re-read all of the original comics, because yes, I still have them all

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎