X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Take Care with removing paint from New Mego's

Just a heads up on removing the paint from New Mego's. I used the Dot 3 Brake Fluid method on a TV Favorites Tootie Sunday afternoon. I soaked the Pelvis and legs to remove the paint from these areas. I left them in for several hours and had no success. So I left them in for a day. The paint on the pelvis began to loosen but the painted on socks did not. I finally checked them today (Wednesday) when I arrived home from work. Today the paint on the pelvis came off easily but then the pelvis has become brittle and crumbled into 3 large pieces. The sock paint refuses to come off. I am going to attempt to glue the pelvis back together and will update either way win or fail. My opinion??? The brake fluid did break down the paint but also chemically weakened the plastic underneath. It also gave the pelvis plastic a milky color. The legs on the other hand are as same as before with just a little milky discoloration in spots.

I may try the "Oven Cleaner Method" on the painted on socks, but I think I will monitor the process more closely.
    Stand by for updates...
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks for the heads up. I had wondered how hard it would be to take the paint off from those socks...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Have you tried acetone? That's what I use for removing paint. It works pretty much instantly.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

While I'm always intrigued with the hacking of materials/chemicals to make customs, I never quite understood the desire to use these to remove paint… there are several products that are actually designed to do just that, from strippers and mediums to cleaners and removers.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Confessional
          While I'm always intrigued with the hacking of materials/chemicals to make customs, I never quite understood the desire to use these to remove paint… there are several products that are actually designed to do just that, from strippers and mediums to cleaners and removers.
          Acetone is a product that is manufactured for that purpose.

Although this chemical is common in some household and cosmetic products, it can also be found in commercial settings, where it is typically used as a thinner for lacquers or for making plastics.

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ My point exactly! We all should have a couple bottles.

Comment

• Neutron X
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 22, 2007

Finger Nail Polish remover with 100% Acetone works great! I haven't tried on new stuff yet though.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                Persistent Member
                • Oct 3, 2007

Originally posted by Confessional
                Many of the products EAT Plastics or just destroy. Customizers desire a kinder gentler way :D
                Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• comicmike
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 22, 2009

Acetone *ate* the new pins material on one of my new issue 8" figures when I soaked the removed hands. After turning to jelly, the medium eventually dried out, but I lost the wrists being able to pose. I'm guessing that if those wrist pins reacted, so will the elbow-knee-ankle pins made of the same material. I don't recall now for how long I soaked mine (maybe 15 minutes), but *Word to the wise.
                  Last edited by comicmike; Jan 28, '19, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
                    Many of the products EAT Plastics or just destroy. Customizers desire a kinder gentler way :D
                    I think the first point I was trying to make was lost in translation… I'm on your team, really, but I don't consider automotive fluids or oven cleaner gentle as they contain more corrosive chemicals.

When I experiment with paint removal I tend to to start first with things like vegetable oil, green (paint removal) cleaners, vinyl cleaners, etc. These products are designed to not destroy a fine hair brush, so they likely will not destroy vintage vinyl or plastic. That's all I was trying to say. New plastics are full of additives/fillers (which subsequently compromise the flexibility and long-term strength of the product) that may react differently than vintage materials, hence why acetone (while a great classic product) may be too strong.

By all means, experiment on! I love that we have a place to share the knowledge.
                    Last edited by Confessional; Jan 28, '19, 10:05 AM. Reason: … clean, shiny plastic! mmm!

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jan 17, 2011

I used acetone to remove the socks from a Jo figure. Soaked a rag and wiped, took a few times to totally remove and clean up the area but it worked well. Also used an old toothbrush to get in the joints. I didn't soak the legs/feet as I didn't want to risk desolving anything

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
                        Just a heads up on removing the paint from New Mego's. I used the Dot 3 Brake Fluid method on a TV Favorites Tootie Sunday afternoon. I soaked the Pelvis and legs to remove the paint from these areas. I left them in for several hours and had no success. So I left them in for a day. The paint on the pelvis began to loosen but the painted on socks did not. I finally checked them today (Wednesday) when I arrived home from work. Today the paint on the pelvis came off easily but then the pelvis has become brittle and crumbled into 3 large pieces. The sock paint refuses to come off. I am going to attempt to glue the pelvis back together and will update either way win or fail. My opinion??? The brake fluid did break down the paint but also chemically weakened the plastic underneath. It also gave the pelvis plastic a milky color. The legs on the other hand are as same as before with just a little milky discoloration in spots.

I may try the "Oven Cleaner Method" on the painted on socks, but I think I will monitor the process more closely.
                        Stand by for updates...
                        so new plastic is crappier than 50 yr old GI Joe plastic. Hmm. Is the pelvis hard plastic?
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• comicmike
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by Mego Magyar
                          I used acetone to remove the socks from a Jo figure. Soaked a rag and wiped, took a few times to totally remove and clean up the area but it worked well. Also used an old toothbrush to get in the joints. I didn't soak the legs/feet as I didn't want to risk desolving anything
                          Tx for posting about your results, Mego Magyar. That is great news. I'm particularly happy with the colour of the Tootie figures' skin, so I got a couple of them to remove the socks' paint and have for standard modern shorter Mego female bodies, to compliment some of the classic taller 8" ones.

Comment

• Confessional
                            Maker & Whatnot
                            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Yeah, that's cool to know! I also like Tootie's bod for Zira customs.

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

Testor's Liquid Cement is also good at removing paint; just make sure to wipe all of it off before it has a chance to set.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎