X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Universal Meets Hammer

Do any of you experts think of The Evil of Frankenstein, when Hammer used the Jack Pierce makeup design for Frankenstein's monster as connecting to the original Universal series? Since they were so controlling of the look, when they did allow it to be used, I wondered if anyone thought of that as a "further" Universal film. For that matter, does anyone count Tales of Frankenstein, which I've only read about but not seen (and am curious about Don Megowan as the Monster), since it used the Universal makeup but had a slightly more Hammer-based take on the doctor, apparently.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Evil of Frankenstein was my first monster movie, i thought it was a universal until i was 20.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MysteryWho
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 16, 2008

Tales of Frankenstein is worth a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0IFAHFFGe0
      I guess Hammer wanted to use the Universal make-up to appeal to a broader audience that associated that appearance with the monster.
      It is interesting that they also revised the origin of the creature and the characterization of the Doctor. I think they wanted to a fresh approach,
      despite the fact they had two successful movies under their belt.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Evil of Frankenstein is such an odd film. It can neither be Hammer or Universal as far as canon, but of course, officially, it's both. Even the excellent InfoGothic book by Alastair Hughes puts it in its own disconnected timeline, away from Cushing's other films.

The weird thing about Tales of Frankenstein, is how much better the makeup is in that one, vs. Kiwi Kingston's slopped-on, layered look in "Evil". I still enjoy the film, but it's amazing to think Herman Munster was the better looking Monster, right around the same time, and on a TV budget!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

I've always had a great fondness for "Evil", specifically because of the classic Universal vibe that it has.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Type3Toys
            Home Of The Type3 Body
            • Jan 18, 2005

I have always felt Hammer was just Universal in color. Same gothic vibe.
            LOOK
            Action Figure Design & Prototypes
            For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
            To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍