X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Treadwell
    Museum Super Collector
    • Dec 31, 2018

advice to self: SLOW DOWN

I only owned four 8" Megos* (Star Trek, and the bridge playset) as a kid, although I had friends with more.
    I managed to abstain from the Diamond Select figures 10+ years ago, (although was tempted), but the bug bit me with the 2018 releases.

Now I've been scouring eBay for older figs to round things out, (and do customs) and have been seriously considering $30 figures, when only very recently I had balked at $12.99 ones on Target pegs.

I'm realizing I'm on a feeding frenzy and have to remind myself it isn't a race. I'm telling myself that if there was a Diamond Select release of a figure, chances are it will show up in the new Mego line, and just friggin' WAIT AND SEE. Ebay and garage sales will still be there if the line ends.

(deep breath)

*but lots of Micronauts
    Last edited by Treadwell; Jan 16, '19, 12:55 PM.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Don't waste your money on old stuff. Buy new figures to support Mego!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      Or buy what makes you happy

I was on Trek kick as well, there seems to more interest than in the past. I got a carded crew set I have to get a display case for. The remaining Aliens I need I'll have to settle for loose examples. Andorian is my white whale, I've been the 2nd highest bidder on atleast 5 listed in the past year.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Treadwell
        I only owned four 8" Megos* (Star Trek, and the bridge playset) as a kid, although I had friends with more.
        I managed to abstain from the Diamond Select figures 10+ years ago, (although was tempted), but the bug bit me with the 2018 releases.

Now I've been scouring eBay for older figs to round things out, (and do customs) and have been seriously considering $30 figures, when only very recently I had balked at $12.99 ones on Target pegs.

I'm realizing I'm on a feeding frenzy and have to remind myself it isn't a race. I'm telling myself that if there was a Diamond Select release of a figure, chances are it will show up in the new Mego line, and just friggin' WAIT AND SEE. Ebay and garage sales will still be there if the line ends.

(deep breath)

*but lots of Micronauts
        After originally skipping the EMCE Star Trek "Megos", I went on that feeding frenzy a few years ago to acquire them all in the after market. If you can get what you want at a price you can live with, go for it. Who knew that Mego would return and basically reissue some of the Trey stuff, especially the newly created characters from EMCE?

I got lucky and picked up mostly everything at good prices ($25 or less), and found a local store that still had a bunch of the EMCE Trek figures collecting dust, including a lot of Sulus, for $14.99 each that I used to flip for the pricier figures. I wasn't able to get a Salt Vampire or Pike, but with patience and luck, it wasn't too expensive to get all of the ones I wanted.

I am happy I picked up the EMCE versions, which allowed me to skip the Mego re-releases (except Spock, which I grabbed), but waiting to see what Mego does isn't a bad idea, especially since they have made some improvements (solid boot legs, better color on the Gorn), but some feel that the clothes on the EMCE versions were better and/or consistent across the line (all stickers instead of stickers or silk screening the Trek logo on the tunic).

Whatever you choose to do... enjoy!

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          Er, no thanks. Pretty sure that buying new stuff is more of a waste of money than buying vintage (as long as you don't overpay). But hey, just buy what you like.

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by cjefferys
            Er, no thanks. Pretty sure that buying new stuff is more of a waste of money than buying vintage (as long as you don't overpay). But hey, just buy what you like.
            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
              So you don't want Mego to keep going?

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 22, 2011

Enjoy the vintage and the new. There's awesome toys out there from both categories.

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

If you go to Mego Meet, you can probably find most of the older figures at a good price - and no shipping. (I have several I will bring to sell)

And god buys on megos is just one aspect of why the meet is awesome.

But I think your suggestion that previous EMCE, diamond releases will find their way to new Mego. With a finite amount of funds (and dislay space) I think it is good to wait on new ones -and be selective and frugal on old ones.

New Mego - They are new! They're cheap! They are available (generally). Fun to track down at retail!
                  Older Re Mego - They aren't too expensive typically. They can easily be found MIP. Cn fill character gaps in a collection.
                  Vintage Mego - They are a piece of yesterday and proven collectibles. Loose common figures are reasonable at $20-$40.

All are good.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎