Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe movie gets new writers.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Masters of the Universe movie gets new writers.

Long threatened MOTU live action reboot gets new writers. It's good they are abandoning Goyer's script. But there's no way they will make the December 2019 release date. Honestly, I would be shocked if it ever gets made.

Art Marcum and Matt Holloway have been tapped to pen Sony Pictures and Mattel Films‘ “Master of Universe” reboot with brothers Adam and Aaron Nee still directing. Mattel Films is partnering with Sony Pictures on the feature film, which is based on Mattel’s beloved toy-line that spawned a successful animated TV series (1983-85) as well […]
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

^If it makes it out by Dec. 2019, the necessary CGI is going to make Justice League look good.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Sounds like development Hell.

It's not that hard. Just tap into the zeitgeist that the Honda Commercials (stretch Armstrong and $6MDM) and the Wal-Mart famous pop culture cars commercial have... people want to see their old friends, the way the knew them. Not re-imagined past recognition.

Basically, a live-action Filmation adventure with tongue in cheek humor would be gold. There is plenty of "serious" sword and sorcery epics out there already, and no one needs to make another clone and call it Masters of the Universe.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
        Basically, a live-action Filmation adventure with tongue in cheek humor would be gold.
        I agree. Don't be ashamed of the source material. Embrace the sword and sorcery, sci-fi craziness of it and go all in and make a fun swashbuckling movie.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

If this eventually gets made, I'll bet anything Dwayne Johnson gets the role of Adam/He-Man.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

If this eventually gets made, I'll bet anything Dwayne Johnson gets the role of Adam/He-Man.
            not saying you're wrong, but with this movie having been in development hell for years already, it won't likely see the light of day anytime soon. Johnson getting the role is not likely. he is already in his mid forties so although he has the physique, he is getting a little old to play Adam

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, Johnson is too old now to play Adam. Adam was 18 years old in the first season.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

Hemsworth? Either one I guess... Dwayne can play Skeletor...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

It’s just a bad idea. They’ll never do it justice. So, if it does see the light of day, it will be terrible, I’d think.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                    Hemsworth? Either one I guess... Dwayne can play Skeletor...
                    I'll do it! LOL

But seriously...Mattel lacks the vision to realize they are literally sitting on a gold mine here. MOTU done right could be just as epic as LOTR and still be colorful and fun. The character designs are so perfect to begin with, just skip the live action worries and make the whole thing CGI animation like an Earl Norem painting come to life. 90% of the characters would need to be CGI anyway. Keep the amazing designs of the characters, vehicles, and locations and just DO IT already!

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

^ Yes. It really is that simple.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

^ Yes. It really is that simple.
                        How is it that WE can see it, but Mattel and Hollywood can't?

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Hemsworth says he wouldn't want to play He-Man, but that was after he signed for MIB and before Trek was officially canceled. If his Thor contract ends, I'm sure he would run to MOTU.

The point of the new writers isn't to go into production, it's to get a big enough name on board so Mattel doesn't pull it back. If someone like Hemsworth says yes, Matty might pause.

And I wouldn't go by MOTU canon. They're not going to say no to Rock if he agreed to He-Man. IMO, they're writing a new script that Matty will say OK to, have Cena in verbal agreemment. I can see Batista as Skeletor.

The biggest fear should be if they sign some 20somethings to the main roles with a "huh" director. That means another low budget approach.
                          Last edited by hedrap; Jan 16, '19, 1:39 PM.

Comment

• MRP
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2016

The release date had been pushed back to 2021, and now it's been completely removed from Sony's release schedule, so it's going to be a long time before this film sees the light of day.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01...ease-schedule/

-M
                            Last edited by MRP; Jan 27, '20, 11:57 PM.
                            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I'm shocked! Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎