X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Cool Super Powers discovery!

I received my Super Powers Lex Luthor yesterday and made a pretty amazing discovery.
    Lex is the only figure with a hidden feature. When I removed his battle suit armor I noticed a small button on his back that didn't appear to do anything, but it DOES!

When Luthor is without his armor, his power action punch is diminished!
    When you replace the armor, the button is depressed, and his power action punch returns to full strength!

Now THAT is pretty freaking cool.
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Yep! It truly maximizes the power suit. I remember discovering it as a kid just playing, and it took me a few tries to understand it, but when you get it you're like "Hey, that's awesome!" I don't recall if the cardback really clarified the feature, but it is incredibly cool toy engineering.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, that was a cool play feature. It really did depower Lex. Another cool feature was the cables from the Lex-Soar 7 connected to the armor so you could "power" it with Kryptonite. Kenner REALLY built in a lot of play value into that line.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

The first wave of this line is incredibly well engineered and thoughtful.

I remember Wonder Woman was the peg warmer in the line around here and it's not because the figure is boring or bad, it's really great.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• TomStrong
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2011

I had the figure and the jet as a kid and was fascinated. It’s still my favorite version of the character.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

I had forgotten about that feature on Lex as I probably haven’t handled one in over 30 years (I still have my Superman). Now that you mention it, I do recall that button under his armor. I had forgotten the specifics, however.

Brian is so right about the first release/wave of figures, vehicles and playsets. They were so well planned out and executed. I loved all of the figure and everything in that line. It’s a masterpiece right down to the carrying case.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
              The first wave of this line is incredibly well engineered and thoughtful.

I remember Wonder Woman was the peg warmer in the line around here and it's not because the figure is boring or bad, it's really great.
              So true! The mechanism that makes her arms cross to deflect bullets is brilliant. She’s got a perfect sculpt, stance, and a pleasant face for a figure in this scale.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                I had forgotten about that feature on Lex as I probably haven’t handled one in over 30 years (I still have my Superman). Now that you mention it, I do recall that button under his armor. I had forgotten the specifics, however.

Brian is so right about the first release/wave of figures, vehicles and playsets. They were so well planned out and executed. I loved all of the figure and everything in that line. It’s a masterpiece right down to the carrying case.

- Ian
                Absolutely! I don't know if Hasbro acquired any of the Super Powers designs/patents when they bought Kenner, but with the ridiculous popularity the line STILL has to this day, if they made Super Powers compatible Marvel figures I truly believe collectors would go absolutely nuts.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  Absolutely! I don't know if Hasbro acquired any of the Super Powers designs/patents when they bought Kenner, but with the ridiculous popularity the line STILL has to this day, if they made Super Powers compatible Marvel figures I truly believe collectors would go absolutely nuts.
                  I agree! They’d be a monster hit and they should do them in the same comic “age” as the super powers line.

- Ian
                  Last edited by EmergencyIan; Jan 9, '19, 3:46 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^This is a great idea. Heck, Hasbro did that tribute to the old Toy Biz 90s cardbacks recently, so why not?

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

I won’t hold my breath, but it would be awesome to see. Can you imagine Amazing Spider-Man and classic Captain America figures, etc in the very same vein as the Super Powers figures? Maybe we’ll witness it.

- Ian

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

I would die of happiness.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

I had a Lex back in the 80's and had no idea that his armor could be removed without breaking it, I never even tried!

Comment

• fun guy
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 24, 2011

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                            I agree! They’d be a monster hit and they should do them in the same comic “age” as the super powers line.

- Ian
                            That would be cool.I Agree with you 100%.I Would also like to see the same thing with the DC Comics characters.
                            Last edited by fun guy; Jan 10, '19, 3:20 PM. Reason: left something out

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by fun guy
                              That would be cool.I Agree with you 100%.I Would also like to see the same thing with the DC Comics characters.
                              Maybe it will happen. Dwayne sure had a great idea.

- Ian

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎