X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

shrinking a titan vinyl head?

I'm tempted to buy a pile of Titan vinyls and make some customs but I've never seen one after they're shrunk. Anyone have some they can share?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

What's a Titan vinyl?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I think Pal is referring to the 12" Marvel & DC figures. But in my experience, the heads aren't vinyl.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

aHah, ok, wasn't sure. And no they aren't soft vinyl. So it'd have to go the hydrospan route. I used a Cap head for the helmet for Captain America once I dremeled it out. They are more like the plastic that is used for the softer parts of action figures, like vintage star wars arms and legs.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

I suspect he means the Titan figures are little (mostly head) figurines.

They have a ton of franchises. And a lot of them have pretty decent Mego-esque rotocast vinyl sculpts (although sometimes they veer too far into caricature).

Unfortunately, from my experience, the one I tried did not work with the acetone or naphtha shrink method... and they were way too big to use unshrunk... which sort of defeated the allure of using a vinyl head.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^Aha, thanks for the link. I did not know of these and jumped to conclusions.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

I have a few of those Titan heads, but they are too big for a 8" Mego.
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Thanks for the intel, some of the Doctor Who sculpts are gorgeous but if they don't take to an acetone shrink then I've saved myself some money.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 29, 2018

I think most of the head shrinkers are making a mold of the large head and shrinking the mold. Smooth on had an article about it... That means it doesn't matter what material the original head is made from...

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

A user can shrink a silicone rubber mold 18% - 22% by mixing NOVOCS silicone solvent with the silicone.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎