Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: 8" Joe Namath

If anyone has Classic Tv Toys Bobby Brady, that would go well with Joe Namath.

The helmet is blank, maybe because they no longer have the rights using the Jets name?

It looks pretty much like the old gumball machine helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Lister View Post
    The helmet itself is just...too cheap looking. In an era where McFarlane Sportspicks have authentic detail, something that looks like a gumball machine prize, while possessing vintage charm, just comes off as cheap, even if it is a nod to a vintage toy. Mego should be balancing nostalgia and innovation. At least in my opinion. If they want to move forward, they should work on likenesses, and accuracy. Kitschy charm will only get them so far when there's stuff like NECA on the pegs.
    Like you said earlier, it is a nod to the original. This is the original. Namath rocked a Schutt cowcatcher facemask, which Mego almost got right, except missing one vertical bar on the facemask.

If New Mego wanted to, they could have gone with the original 2 bar Action Jackson Football Helmet design, which came with a chin strap and is even nicer than the NFL Action Team Mates.

But they didn't want to. They didn't even want to fix the missing vertical bar from the original facemask because they wanted it to be an 8" version of the original; flaws and all. So back to what you were saying: It doesn't look very cheap nor terrible; it looks like what they wanted it to look like: an 8" version of a larger vintage figure.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Looks good! Reminds me of when I used to take my gumball football helmets, stick them on my Megos and other figures and play a game of football between them. Spidey was always the star player!

I bet it would look great put onto a Type S body with all the poseable possibilities that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
    Like you said earlier, it is a nod to the original. This is the original. Namath rocked a Schutt cowcatcher facemask, which Mego almost got right, except missing one vertical bar on the facemask.

If New Mego wanted to, they could have gone with the original 2 bar Action Jackson Football Helmet design, which came with a chin strap and is even nicer than the NFL Action Team Mates.

But they didn't want to. They didn't even want to fix the missing vertical bar from the original facemask because they wanted it to be an 8" version of the original; flaws and all. So back to what you were saying: It doesn't look very cheap nor terrible; it looks like what they wanted it to look like: an 8" version of a larger vintage figure.
    Like I said, it looks ridiculous, but it has a reason to. Doesn't change the fact that it looks cheap.
    Looking for Iron Man Belt, Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Images
    The shoulder pads on the outside don't bother me. I doubt many of the factory workers in China know how they are suppose to go on.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwyblejr View Post
    The shoulder pads on the outside don't bother me. I doubt many of the factory workers in China know how they are suppose to go on.
    Yeah. The rose goes in the front.

Images
    I have zero interest in sports but this figure is a must have for me! There is a picture on FB of him with the pads INSIDE the jersey and it looks great. Head sculpt is a spot-on likeness AND it's in scale. He'll look great next to my AJ sportsmen. Hope they make more!

SPORTS Joe's street clothes

But what about the Joe Namath clothing line??? They would fit in perfect for the Brady Bunch & Charlie's Angels
    1970-Mego-Broadway-Joe-Namath-Waredrobe-PicsB.jpg1970_Joe_Namath_Collection-1.jpgnamathoutfits2.jpg

I would be buying them in multiplies...
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Jan 7, '19 at 8:39 PM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Images
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, who could I cast him as on Batman '66? Sportsmaster seems too obvious.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

I'd like to know when he's going to become available for purchase.