Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

I'm a football fan and I would love more football players, but Ali will be great also. I had the original Ali figure as a kid and I remember it fondly. Up with the sports, ease back on the sitcoms.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
      Even if they just tooled the helmet to be very similar to the ones that came with the old NFL Action Team Mates, that would be a huge improvement. In saying that, I’m not really concerned with this specifically, unless, by some miracle, Mego does decide (or is able to) to revive the old NFL Team Mates line.

- Ian
      Fair enough, but the Team Mates helmet wouldn't have fit this head. Using a Big Jim helmet and pads as prototypes might have been useful, I've not compared the fit but they look good.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 6, '19, 6:37 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

It's nice that they finally did real socks. Way better than the painted on ones.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
          It's nice that they finally did real socks. Way better than the painted on ones.
          I agree!
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

I like this figure a lot. I hope the Ali is as well done. I’d love to see a Pele, too
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              Fair enough, but the Team Mates helmet wouldn't have fit this head. Using a Big Jim helmet and pads as prototypes might have been useful, I've not compared the fit but they look good.
              Oh, overall, I think the 8” Joe looks terrific! But, the helmet does look like the ones I used to get from those vending machines all those years ago. I realize that Mego couldn’t use the same helmet as worn my the Team Mate figures (though I don’t think the size is too far off). I just meant that they could have done a better tooling of their helmet when you compare it to the same type of helmets that come with the Team Mates. They aren’t elaborate, by any stretch of the imagination, but they do fit the figures well and look great on them. That’s all I’m saying that Mego would have been better off shooting for. However, as I said earlier, if this is a one off football figure, which I’d bet is the case, I’m fine with the current helmet. The figure is very good, overall, as far as I can tell.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by alex
                Never heard of him
                I don't watch football. I don't care about it --but how do you not know him? He was on TV, talked about t school. He even had a Mego action figure!
                If you were born in the 20th century, it would have been hard to not hear of him.

Maybe you are a lot younger AND don't watch football.

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Will we be seeing outfits a la Action Jackson for Joe like the ones on the card he is holding in the interview?

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

What are these "Sports" of which you speak? And more importantly, why do I want this figure?

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by ObiSeanMEGObi
                      Cool! I hope the Sports line also includes Howard Cosell and Ali.
                      Howard Cosell with yellow Monday night football announcers jacket.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

If anyone has Classic Tv Toys Bobby Brady, that would go well with Joe Namath.

The helmet is blank, maybe because they no longer have the rights using the Jets name?

It looks pretty much like the old gumball machine helmets.

Comment

• J.B.
                          Guild Navigator
                          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by B-Lister
                          The helmet itself is just...too cheap looking. In an era where McFarlane Sportspicks have authentic detail, something that looks like a gumball machine prize, while possessing vintage charm, just comes off as cheap, even if it is a nod to a vintage toy. Mego should be balancing nostalgia and innovation. At least in my opinion. If they want to move forward, they should work on likenesses, and accuracy. Kitschy charm will only get them so far when there's stuff like NECA on the pegs.
                          Like you said earlier, it is a nod to the original. This is the original. Namath rocked a Schutt cowcatcher facemask, which Mego almost got right, except missing one vertical bar on the facemask.

If New Mego wanted to, they could have gone with the original 2 bar Action Jackson Football Helmet design, which came with a chin strap and is even nicer than the NFL Action Team Mates.

But they didn't want to. They didn't even want to fix the missing vertical bar from the original facemask because they wanted it to be an 8" version of the original; flaws and all. So back to what you were saying: It doesn't look very cheap nor terrible; it looks like what they wanted it to look like: an 8" version of a larger vintage figure.
                          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• TRDouble
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 10, 2012

Looks good! Reminds me of when I used to take my gumball football helmets, stick them on my Megos and other figures and play a game of football between them. Spidey was always the star player!

I bet it would look great put onto a Type S body with all the poseable possibilities that comes with it.

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by J.B.
                              Like you said earlier, it is a nod to the original. This is the original. Namath rocked a Schutt cowcatcher facemask, which Mego almost got right, except missing one vertical bar on the facemask.

If New Mego wanted to, they could have gone with the original 2 bar Action Jackson Football Helmet design, which came with a chin strap and is even nicer than the NFL Action Team Mates.

But they didn't want to. They didn't even want to fix the missing vertical bar from the original facemask because they wanted it to be an 8" version of the original; flaws and all. So back to what you were saying: It doesn't look very cheap nor terrible; it looks like what they wanted it to look like: an 8" version of a larger vintage figure.
                              Like I said, it looks ridiculous, but it has a reason to. Doesn't change the fact that it looks cheap.
                              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

The shoulder pads on the outside don't bother me. I doubt many of the factory workers in China know how they are suppose to go on.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎