X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Brown Bear
    Never was a football fan but always liked Joe Namoth. I'd get this if they were sold in Canada.
    We'll help you out.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

I think it looks like Marty abrams

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

I’m also impressed at how they tooled the helmet to be in proportion and still fit over a head sculpt with long molded hair.

From experience with that 1/6 scale “Emergency!” project; that I worked on and contracted out, for myself, I know that’s a tall task. And, on that series, Randy Mantooth’s hair got longer each season....Tighe’s did as well. Ultimately, we compromised with hair length and molded the heads in vinyl.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by enyawd72
          The "Legends" subline title in the upper right corner suggests there will be more.
          I'm not even a sports fan but this figure is fantastic. The in-package posed display is beautiful, and the cardback art is light years ahead of last year's design.
          Yeah,I think we're getting more sports themed figures. There is the Muhammad Ali figure coming out.

Comment

• megomania
            Persistent Member
            • Jan 2, 2010

I'm going to need this one, just hope it isn't hard to get..

-Chris

Comment

• megomania
              Persistent Member
              • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by megowgsh
              He looks great! I have wanted to do an 8" version of Joe as a Mego Meet exclusive in the past. Prefer a factory-made version.

Only question I have is "what in blazes is on his shoulders?"
              Shoulder pads...which I wish they would have put to the side wit the football. Throws off the look.

-Chris

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

The helmet is a nod to the original, it looks ridiculous, but it has a reason to.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by B-Lister
                  The helmet is a nod to the original, it looks ridiculous, but it has a reason to.
                  Now that I look at it on his head, again, you’re right. It is pretty oversized. Oh well, it doesn’t look terrible, but I take back what I said earlier about being impressed with the in proportion helmet while having a head sculpt with long hair...nothing magical about after a second look. Lol

- Ian

Comment

• Goblin19
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 2, 2002

Great likeness. I’d get him if there was a sports line to go along with him. Sort of like Jimi Hendrix.

Comment

• tllgn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 6, 2010

very interesting ,i didnt want the "14" one ,but this one is very nice ,i hope this is what they have in mind for ali .

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                        Now that I look at it on his head, again, you’re right. It is pretty oversized. Oh well, it doesn’t look terrible, but I take back what I said earlier about being impressed with the in proportion helmet while having a head sculpt with long hair...nothing magical about after a second look. Lol

- Ian
                        The helmet itself is just...too cheap looking. In an era where McFarlane Sportspicks have authentic detail, something that looks like a gumball machine prize, while possessing vintage charm, just comes off as cheap, even if it is a nod to a vintage toy. Mego should be balancing nostalgia and innovation. At least in my opinion. If they want to move forward, they should work on likenesses, and accuracy. Kitschy charm will only get them so far when there's stuff like NECA on the pegs.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by B-Lister
                          The helmet itself is just...too cheap looking. In an era where McFarlane Sportspicks have authentic detail, something that looks like a gumball machine prize, while possessing vintage charm, just comes off as cheap, even if it is a nod to a vintage toy. Mego should be balancing nostalgia and innovation. At least in my opinion. If they want to move forward, they should work on likenesses, and accuracy. Kitschy charm will only get them so far when there's stuff like NECA on the pegs.
                          Even if they just tooled the helmet to be very similar to the ones that came with the old NFL Action Team Mates, that would be a huge improvement. In saying that, I’m not really concerned with this specifically, unless, by some miracle, Mego does decide (or is able to) to revive the old NFL Team Mates line.

- Ian

Comment

• ObiSeanMEGObi
                            • Oct 15, 2018

Cool! I hope the Sports line also includes Howard Cosell and Ali.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ObiSeanMEGObi
                              Cool! I hope the Sports line also includes Howard Cosell and Ali.
                              Ali was confirmed by Marty months ago. It's happening.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brue
                                User without title
                                • Sep 29, 2005

He looks great! Well outfitted/accessorized.

Love the card/bubble.

I had thought the upcoming Ali that was leaked would be 14". This leads me to think he'll be 8. (Maybe the size is known and I just missed it.)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎