X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Tonner Doll Company out of business

Sad to hear, even though most of us here probably weren't big collectors of their line.. My wife has a few dolls, including a few Wonder Woman and Batgirl ones.

Chris
    sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I liked the 2nd edition Aquaman, and the exclusive seahorse was amazing! I tried to get one on the secondary market, but $$$ .

The large scale of these dolls was a little off-putting, but I admired their craftsmanship if not always their style.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

I thought some of the dolls looked cool. Certainly lots of work went into them. Some were not so good.
      The price point was way too high.

I never bought any, so it is no personal loss. But it is sad to see a company trying to put out quality Action Figures go under.

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

Well it sounds like they just closed Tonner to start another company.

These were never for me, but they did some cool exclusives. But the prices were always astronomical, so I find it kinda strange that they complained it was too expensive to make anymore. Margins must have been dipping on them for a while.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I honestly don't know much about the company but i think they manufactured here? That is a shame unto itself.

Their licensed female dolls were works of art, I remember thinking their Mera was extraordinary but I never felt the urge to collect them.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^That Mera was stunning. Cindy has their Yvonne Craig Batgirl which is also a highlight.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

I didn't know that this was happening. I knew that Ellowyne was out of production; and I had to scour ebay for an inexpensive basic nude. Even then, it was pricey.

I am sad to see them close, but I'm looking forward to the new incarnation of Ellowyne in the spring.
              JediJaida

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                ^That Mera was stunning. Cindy has their Yvonne Craig Batgirl which is also a highlight.

Chris
                Oh yeah that is nice.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ovenmitt
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 26, 2009

These were nice. I collected DC Stars from the start 1st Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Black Canary, Zatanna, and even the rare Donna Troy Wonder Girl and Starfire. Missed Power Girl and really wanted Jim Lee Huntress. I also had Superman Reeve like, Batman removable cowl and Joker. These were around $100 at start and got more expensive. Tonner even got Marvel but did not make many. I had Jean Grey Phoenix but could not find others especially Scarlet Witch, beautiful. Tonner did start less expensive 13” DC dolls but only made a few. I even had New 52 Wonder Woman and Supergirl and Newmar Catwoman near the end but sold my collection. Wanted that Yvonne Craig Batgirl!

At least we now have Mego 14” and FTC 12” DC being released at a faster and affordable rate.

Good job, Tonner, works of comic book art,
                  Last edited by ovenmitt; Jan 3, '19, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris

Now that's the nicest Batgirl doll I've seen.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Too bad. I liked the looks of their stuff. I should’ve picked up that Batgirl

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^I think it had a really low production number, like 500 or something. Cindy was very lucky to get it.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I finally nabbed a Tonner 2nd-edition Aquaman-I'm working on an Aqua-centric collection just now. It's really rather nice, the classic verison.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I finally nabbed a Tonner 2nd-edition Aquaman-I'm working on an Aqua-centric collection just now. It's really rather nice, the classic verison.
                            Congrats!
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• J.B.
                              Guild Navigator
                              • Jun 23, 2010

The Bieber is strong with this one. What version is this and how many versions did they make?

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎