Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I think Jimbustu is right. Momoa is putting butts in seats. Blonde, "bland" Aquaman would probably never had such appeal. Momoa's somewhat exotic appearance makes the concept more believable to the Muggles possibly as well. Luckily, James Wan built a true Aquaman movie around him, and evolved his character closer to the classic one, believably throughout the film.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I wasn't sold on Momoa when he was first announced either, but he pulled it off magnificently. Besides, it's not like there hasn't been a long haired, bearded version of Aquaman before, so I'm fine with it.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

If this was true, then Thor should have been a bust. Wan didn't cast him, Snyder did. WB had him signed. There's not a lot more inner studio thought going on with his casting then there was with Ryan Reynolds as GL, Affleck as Bats or that weirdo for Flash. They're signing talent wanted by other projects and plugging them in.

Blonde AQ could have worked, but not with this story. It would be too easy to mock as "white guy saves the world, again". Studio marketing would probably order a rewrite to make him bioluminescent underwater, just to avoid that trope. If it was a blonde guy, the best fits are navy or zen surfer.

Someone here pointed out how the bearded AQ has been around for nearly 25 years now. Crazy to think. I hope they bleach Momoa's hair even more. With those contacts it would be really distinct.

I've been thinking about the Marvel influence, and where that's accurate is behind the camera with the director choices. Jenkins and Wan are a lot like when Marvel chose Brannagh and Johnston for Cap and Thor. Both had an easy inroad to understanding the world of those characters. For Wan, there are sequences in Aquaman that are near identical to Furious 7, like the making of Manta's battlesuit.

The real Marvel move? Shoot a post-credit AQ scene for WW84. The demand is high.

Comment

• powersthatbe
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 27, 2010

It’s not a marvel movie,it’s a non-Snyder DC movie.

Comment

• jimbutsu
            Memory *is* RAM!
            • Apr 11, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
            If this was true, then Thor should have been a bust.
            Chris Hemsworth moves tickets for the same reason an Jason Momoa - dare I say Aquaman could have done quite well with him cast in the led as well?

Indulge me for a moment:

My wife enjoys the Marvel movies, but isn't fussed about seeing them right away like I am. But we've seen every Thor in the theater on release weekend.

She doens't give a crap about the DC movies except Wonder Woman, so I went and saw Aquaman on my day off - the conversation went like this:

"How was the movie?"

"I liked it - it was big, dumb, fun!"

"Would you want to go see it again?"

It's business. Business and hormones.

And I'm not singling any gender or preference out - female leads are cast for all the same reasons.
            "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by jimbutsu
              Chris Hemsworth moves tickets for the same reason an Jason Momoa - dare I say Aquaman could have done quite well with him cast in the led as well?
              I mentioned that in an earlier thread. Hemsworth is a major bust outside Thor and he's aware of it. He pushed hard to get a George Kirk revival and when that didn't pan out, he jumped on MIB which looks DOA. AQ would have been the perfect second act.

I get your point about law of attraction. RDJ and Cumberbatch benefitted from that. IMO, that's why Scott Eastwood is most likely to be the next Batman. Womenz dig him and for guys, he's Clint's kid.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎