el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Momoa was not a bad Conan either...

sigpic

Comment

• Madcap70
      • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Ivaniski
      That I could easily see. Since the first time I saw that other actor I knew....AQUAMAN was MISCAST!!!
      Mamoa before he got the part of Aquaman thought when he found out about a DC film thought it was Lobo and that would have been perfect

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Momoa was a terrible Conan. Way too pretty and lean.

It's really not clear when he was signed for AQ. Momoa has said he signed with WB during the end of the Nolan years, but it was never specified as for what. He was the second choice for Drax in GoTG, but depending on who tells the story either WB signed him before Marvel could, (which is why he wasn't Drax) or after he lost the part.

I think he was WB's fallback for several parts. Lobo, Manhunter, Shazam and even Superman and Batman. I remember he was briefly mentioned for Supes. He denies he seriously auditioned for Batman, but he did, Affleck just power played him out of the part. I think that's why he never mentions support for Affleck but always back Cavill. Here's a good timeline read.

While appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live, Jason Momoa revealed that he had to keep the secret that he was cast as Aquaman for four or five years. Is it really possible that he was cast that long ago? Here is the clip from Jimmy Kimmel Live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDaCzKyDNF8 You can watch Jason Momoa's 2014 appearance where…

It's not uncommon for studios to sign talent and shelve them. That's Rock's Black Adam contract. I think WB signed Momoa to keep him away from Marvel, then during BvS/JL, Johns/Snyder thought to reinvent AQ. It's like how Gadot ended up as WW; her and Antje Traue were the final two for Faora.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I liked that leaner look for Conan, but the movie was just OK.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I liked that leaner look for Conan, but the movie was just OK.
            Yup. His leaner athletic body makes him deadlier with a sword. Modern day giant bodybuilders ars a product of today’s pharmaceuticals...and way too slow...Arnold looks great as Conan, but wields the sword in slow-motion.
            sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
              Yup. His leaner athletic body makes him deadlier with a sword. Modern day giant bodybuilders ars a product of today’s pharmaceuticals...and way too slow...Arnold looks great as Conan, but wields the sword in slow-motion.
              Sophistry. Arnold spent months with a master swordsman. The guy's in the movie for godsakes. On shooting days, they choreographed each move and fight repeatedly for accuracy. The actual swords were 9 pounds of carbon steel, crafted in bronze age fashion. That's 3x the weight of a normal sword. He's not trapeezing about like Errol Flynn or someone form a Kung Fu movie because the theme of the movie is iron and steel versus the strength of man. You completely missed the point of the movie.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Sophistry. God sakes. I completely missed the point of the movie.

Those three things are confrontational remarks and are taking this topic way too seriously.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Arnold spent months with a master swordsman. The guy's in the movie. On shooting days, they choreographed each move and fight repeatedly for accuracy. The actual swords were 9 pounds of carbon steel, crafted in bronze age fashion. That's 3x the weight of a normal sword. He's not trapeezing about like Errol Flynn or someone form a Kung Fu movie because the theme of the movie is iron and steel versus the strength of man.

I prefer this, and would’ve gladly made a 180 and agreed with you.
                  sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                    He was also born to play Scrabby the Elf
                    For someone who didn't have much experience in comedic acting (as far as I know), Momoa was fantastic in that episode of SNL. Before that I was kind of on the fence with him, but afterwards I thought that he could end up helping make Aquaman as "fun" as a Marvel movie. And I think he did, I thought Aquaman was a blast, and I haven't thought that about any recent DC film.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 8, 2015

it was a damn good film, liked it, and I do wish the last bit was different with

SPOILERS

Manta meeting Deathstroke and/or Luthor instead of some Geek!

Can you say... Secret Society of Super Villians!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I honestly was expecting that, and with Manta and Lex together, my mind goes straight toward Legion of Doom.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• torgospizza
                          Theocrat of Pan Tang
                          • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          The casting was a big obstacle for me and not entirely overcome. I really wanted Charlie Hunnam in the title role.
                          You know, that's a good suggestion I hadn't considered. Personally, I thought Alexander Skarsgard should have been Aquaman, while Momoa should have been Tarzan. But whatever--I'm just happy we got an Aquaman movie. I never thought that would happen in my lifetime; yet, here we are.
                          Last edited by torgospizza; Jan 3, '19, 5:04 PM.

Comment

• jimbutsu
                            Memory *is* RAM!
                            • Apr 11, 2002

Trust me - there's a reason Jason Momoa was a good choice for Aquaman - his casting is selling plenty of tickets to people who couldn't give two shakes about Aquaman...
                            "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Would no other actor have achieved a similar effect?
                              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 3, '19, 5:56 PM.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jimbutsu
                                Memory *is* RAM!
                                • Apr 11, 2002

Probably not Charlie Hunnam, Patrick Wilson, or Alexander Skarsgard. Not that I think any of them would have been a bad choice to be Aquaman, but it isn't just us they're trying to sell tickets to.

Big studios exist to make money moreso than they do to preserve artistic intent - if a little bit of "miscasting" sells more tickets, miscasting it is!
                                "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎