X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Aquaman = DC's first Marvel movie

Finally saw Aquaman yesterday, and I left the theatre with a new favorite super hero. Yep. It's THAT good.
    I absolutely LOVED this film. It hit every note for me. It transported me to another universe and had the same magic that I've always felt watching a Marvel movie.
    It had heart, was uplifting, colorful, and most of all FUN. That's what super heroes are supposed to be.

I thought Wonder Woman was incredible and couldn't be topped. I was wrong. Aquaman is a perfect example of DC adopting Marvel's philosophy of treating EVERY character as a "A" lister. Orm and especially Black Manta were fantastic villains.
    Black Manta looked so freaking cool! I was grinning ear to ear every time he appeared on screen, and can't wait for his return.
    I'm completely over Cavill and Affleck's dour portrayals. Jason Momoa is DC's top dog now. Recast Superman and Batman, and make them FUN again. Let's bring back Robin, the Boy Wonder! Let's see Firestorm! Green Lantern and Hawkman!

Make Lex Luthor a mad scientist again with his green and purple Kryptonite powered battlesuit. Then after everybody has had their solo films to shine, let's get them all together at the Hall of Justice for a SUPER POWERS movie!

Wonder Woman was a course correction...Aquaman brought the ship home. Very appropriate for the King of the Seven Seas! THANK YOU DC!!
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

It's not just that's it's a "marvelized" movie. What really strikes me about the film is that James Wan cared enough to make a film that really tried to embrace the character and his mythos. What I always loved about Aquaman comics, aside from the character itself, was that they could address and depict almost anything: oceanography and ecology, Flash Gordon-style sci-fi, sword and sorcery. And the ocean is 70+% of the earth's surface--that's a lot of storytelling opportunity.

An example of that care: Ocean Master. Every fan knows about Manta, and now he's a cool aquatic Iron Man. But OM has had a checkered history and Wan used the best elements to make a great villain with believable motivation. With his original corny name . And with--Easter Egg moment--his purple comics costume intact and his impractical scalloped Batman-cape that was only in his earliest appearances. Wow.

The movie, which some critics have decried as derivative, is faithful to the comics aside from Arthur's initial characterization. That speaks volumes to me as a fan.

And yes, I hope WW 2, this film, and the upcoming Shazam! steer us to more films that show what makes DC magical: Modern myths among us.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 1, '19, 10:03 AM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

The story credit really goes to Johns and a writer named Beale who writes great bad guys. Johns is the one who curated the DC elements. Wan's involved in the direction of his screenplays, (beats, tone, plot etc...) but not as deeply as Snyder. In that way, Wan's a lot like the more traditional directors.

I don't give the credit to Marvel. I said from the moment Wan signed this was going to work because the guy has been surefire since 2004. Watch Furious 7 and you'll see the direct connection to AQ. I think what you guys feel is more about WB management change and how the new team wants to push aside the Nolans.

Wan hasn't signed for AQ2. Looking at his past, he's most likely holding out for Batman or Superman/Justice League. I think he's a much better choice for Batman than Reeves, but his JL would really eclipse Avengers. Wan is the visualist behind Saw and the major horror franchises. What he would do with Joker or Darkseid would be mind-blowing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
        Aquaman is a perfect example of DC adopting Marvel's philosophy of treating EVERY character as a "A" lister.
        This is a good point, which I overlooked in responding. That approach is why Ant-Man is one of my favorite super-hero films.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
          The story credit really goes to Johns and a writer named Beale who writes great bad guys. Johns is the one who curated the DC elements. Wan's involved in the direction of his screenplays, (beats, tone, plot etc...) but not as deeply as Snyder. In that way, Wan's a lot like the more traditional directors.

I don't give the credit to Marvel. I said from the moment Wan signed this was going to work because the guy has been surefire since 2004. Watch Furious 7 and you'll see the direct connection to AQ. I think what you guys feel is more about WB management change and how the new team wants to push aside the Nolans.

Wan hasn't signed for AQ2. Looking at his past, he's most likely holding out for Batman or Superman/Justice League. I think he's a much better choice for Batman than Reeves, but his JL would really eclipse Avengers. Wan is the visualist behind Saw and the major horror franchises. What he would do with Joker or Darkseid would be mind-blowing.
          Don't misunderstand...I'm not crediting Marvel. What I meant was Aquaman has the FEEL of a Marvel film. I didn't feel like I was watching a typical depressing DC movie. I had a GREAT time, and I'm totally stoked for the future of DC films after this, and that's something I haven't been in a VERY long time. I've had more than enough of the "Dark Knight" I'm ready for the return of the Caped Crusader...Robin and all.

Comment

• Ivaniski
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 24, 2007

The movie was okay but I think the wrong guy was playing Aquaman. The role of Aquaman should have been played by the guy that was playing Aquaman's brother, the blonde actor... just like he's drawn in the comic books.... would have been perfect.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

The casting was a big obstacle for me and not entirely overcome. I really wanted Charlie Hunnam in the title role.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I've had more than enough of the "Dark Knight" I'm ready for the return of the Caped Crusader...Robin and all.
                Yeah, me too. I think the fans are ready for a cool and fun Dynamic Duo.

I wasn't sure about Momoa from the moment we saw the Unite the Seven Justice League poster. The film made me a believer, which the same could be said about the Gold Standard Superman: The Movie. I'll be honest, if I knew Christopher Reeve before Superman, I would've doubted him... just like most of us doubted Michael Keaton when he was announced. None of these actors look like they walked off the comic page, but by the end of the film, they've won me over.

I just love that we get a Superhero who says "Shame on you!" to the bad guy's father. (echoes of Adam West?). That one single admonishment defines that our Hero has a moral compass and a human heart. I love that.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Don't misunderstand...I'm not crediting Marvel. What I meant was Aquaman has the FEEL of a Marvel film. I didn't feel like I was watching a typical depressing DC movie. I had a GREAT time, and I'm totally stoked for the future of DC films after this, and that's something I haven't been in a VERY long time. I've had more than enough of the "Dark Knight" I'm ready for the return of the Caped Crusader...Robin and all.
                  ehh, just don't lighten him up too much, I'd be a little concerned about WB painting them all with the same brush again just like they did after Nolan's films made billions. They tried to add the dark and bleak to Superman and JL. Each character needs to be taken at a case by case basis for variety's sake.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Momoa was born to play Namor/Sub-Mariner...

sigpic

Comment

• Ivaniski
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by Hector

That I could easily see. Since the first time I saw that other actor I knew....AQUAMAN was MISCAST!!!

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                        valar morghulis
                        • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
                        He was also born to play Scrabby the Elf

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

lol SNL.

Re:Namor, You might be onto something there, but why backslide?
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 1, '19, 6:39 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                            He was also born to play Scrabby the Elf

Saw that before, hilarious..."you spelled flashlight wrong"...

Last edited by Hector; Jan 1, '19, 7:00 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              lol SNL.

Re:Namor, You might be onto something there, but why backslide?
                              I have no problem with Momoa as Aquaman...but would’ve preferred him as Namor or Lobo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎