Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Mattel losing the DC license could be a GREAT thing...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Why Mattel losing the DC license could be a GREAT thing...

I think Mattel losing the DC rights may actually prompt them to invest in some original concepts again. Their greatest boys action figure success remains Masters of the Universe, which was a completely original concept with NO media to support it at the time of it's launch.

It may also light a fire under them to get the MOTU movie rolling, and explore other MOTU products. With their lines of Marvel, DC, Star Wars, and Looney Tunes Hot Wheels, all of which require new original tooling, it boggles my mind that Mattel hasn't released die-cast versions of all the MOTU vehicles, which have some of the greatest designs of all time.

Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Attak Trak, Talon Fighter, Roton, Land Shark, Dragon Walker, Spydor, Road Ripper, Bashasaurus, Blaster Hawk, Fright Fighter...it's a total no-brainer.

They could also pursue a 12" line of MOTU figures in the "True Moves" line. I think the character designs are cool enough to attract kids even without a media tie-in.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

You've an interesting idea. I recall, almost 20 years ago, hoping that Mattel would use their excellent Max Steel tooling to produce 12" MOTU figures. I'm surprised as well that we haven't seen MOTU Imaginext.

A media tie-in wouldn't hurt, though.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Might finally get them to dust off Major Matt Mason, too.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

For Mattel, if it's not Hot Wheels or Barbie they've shown little interest in supporting their original IPs. Since 2008 MOTU has had a pretty strong online presence with MOTUC. But they've long stressed they would not return MOTU to retail without a movie tie in. They've not wanted to do the heavy lifting of promoting the brand. I think this forces their hand. There's also the benefit of Sony losing the movie rights and Mattel starting their own movie studio. I think we will see MOTU inch back into retail. We are already starting to see this with the Mega Construx Pro Builder Wind Raider set which releases this January.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Madcap70
          • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Might finally get them to dust off Major Matt Mason, too.
          And Big Jim And The Pack!

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Mattel losing the DC license is largely because they don't care about boys toys. Until there's a major shakeup at Mattel (and this ain't it) they'll continue down their same path. I expect them to make a play for some other stuff, but right now their focus is on Barbie, Hot Wheels and WWE. DC has been the step child for quite some time. And I can't imagine Marvel going with them over Hasbro when their contract comes up because of how poorly DC has done with Mattel since the Green Lantern movie that killed their 6 inch DC line.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by ODBJBG
              Mattel losing the DC license is largely because they don't care about boys toys. Until there's a major shakeup at Mattel (and this ain't it) they'll continue down their same path. I expect them to make a play for some other stuff, but right now their focus is on Barbie, Hot Wheels and WWE. DC has been the step child for quite some time. And I can't imagine Marvel going with them over Hasbro when their contract comes up because of how poorly DC has done with Mattel since the Green Lantern movie that killed their 6 inch DC line.
              I don't think it's fair to fault Mattel for DC's string of underperforming critical and commercial box office duds. The toys they offered were very well done, but the public's general dislike for the films hampered toy sales. Aquaman toys are flying off the shelves, because they have a great movie to support them.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, I though the Aquaman toys were well-done, too: Multiple formats and price points, both kid-and-collector-friendly. And did you see the Imaginext Atlantis playset? Wowsers.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                  Two of the three you mention as their focus are "boys toys". WB kind of shot the brand down with poorly performing product like GL, MOS and JL.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    I don't think it's fair to fault Mattel for DC's string of underperforming critical and commercial box office duds.
                    I agree. You can't blame Mattel for bad movies.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

I'm reading Max Steel, MOTU, Major Matt Mason, and Big Jim in this thread and hoping Mattel would resurrect one, some, all or any.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

^Oh yes, I'd love a Big Jim commemorative reissue, amongst others.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎