Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Did George wear his padding while Clark ?

The early episodes Clark looked awfully skinny compared to Superman

Maybe it was just the super-baggy Kent suit

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Those were full cut suits: Additionally, he gained weight as the series went on.

If you guys haven’t seen it, see the movie “Hollywoodland”, you should! It’s all about George Reeves during his “Superman” days.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I really enjoyed "Hollywoodland" and the book upon which it was based.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I really enjoyed "Hollywoodland" and the book upon which it was based.
          So did I. It’s kind of the hidden Superman movie. Well done, in my opinion.

- Ian

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^I enjoy the movie a lot, but as all biopics do, it takes an angle and sends George's story down that path, because that just makes for better drama. They leave out that George directed episodes of Superman in it's last season, and was going to direct more in the season he was just about to start when he died. The "wrestling" angle isn't quite true either. George went on the road with his pal Natividad Vaccio and sometimes Noel Neil, and he appeared as Superman and Clark Kent, battled an actor/wrestler in tights and cape named "Mr. Kryptonite". I believe their fight was rather brief and wouldn't really constitute "wrestling". George would then return to Clark clothes and play Spanish guitar and sing with Vaccio and Neil. This was all detailed in the book, Superman: From Cereal to Serial, perhaps the first book written on the subject.

I do like that it leaves the cause of his death open. I've vacillated between theories over the years. Lenore Lemon and Eddie Mannix would certainly have reason to see George dead, although I think they villainized both quite a bit in Hollywoodland, again for dramatic purposes.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

^ Yeah, it’s not to be taken as gospel, that’s for sure. But, overall, it seems close and is pretty well done, I think.

- Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for the book referral, that's new to me. I was referring to Hollywood Kryptonite as the basis for the film. I also enjoyed Larry Tye's Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Forgive me, Chris. I forgot to thank you for mentioning that book, which sounds quite interesting. I had no idea that it existed until you mentioned it.

By the way, I do not think Reeves killed himself.

- Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I don't either and neither did Jack Larson.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Larson recanted that later in life, unfortunately. In the documentary, "Look Up in the Sky", he says he does believe George killed himself. Unfortunately that documentary is now fairly uncomfortable to watch, because it is produced by Bryan Singer, narrated by Kevin Spacey, and features on-screen interviews with comic writer/historian, Gerard Jones. Yeesh.

On most days, I honestly don't believe Reeves committed suicide. It just doesn't quite add up to me. In addition to the Mannix and Lemon theories, there's also the angle that Reeve had a really bad car accident just a few days prior, and was on strong pain medication, either of which may have put him out of his mind. So even if he did...he may not have meant to under normal circumstances. This was DC editor and Superman TV producer Whitney Ellsworth's theory.

Not to always pimp my podcasts, but Rob Kelly and I discussed Hollywoodland and the mystery around George's death on an episode of The Film and Water Podcast. It may be worth a listen to those interested. http://fireandwaterpodcast.com/podca...hollywoodland/
                      sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Listening now!

- Ian

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Great episode, Chris!

- Ian

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Oh, I WILL have to give that a listen.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Great episode, Chris!

- Ian
                              Thanks Ian! Podcasting with Rob is like falling off a log. We started recording Superman II Movie Minute last week, and I think we could have talked about the whole movie in one sitting, 5 minute segments at a time!

Back to Hollywoodland, I thought Affleck did a good job of portraying George. He looked and sounded like him, especially when he was Clark Kent!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                                Museum Paramedic
                                • Aug 31, 2005

I agree, I couldn’t believe how believable he was a Reeves. Really a gem of a performance that’s mostly gone unseen. Maybe the best part of the movie. It could have been a better film, but I certainly recommend it. It’s well worth seeing.

- Ian

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎