• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

George Reeves' Adventures of Superman for Beginners

Confession...

I've never watched an entire episode of the classic George Reeves Superman.

Growing up a 70s/80s kid, Christopher Reeve was (and is) my Superman.

But I am tempted to dip my toe into these. To those familiar with the show, do you think a Chris Reeve fan would be able to enjoy them, or would they feel just before my time? I do of course enjoy Batman 66, but that's a completely different show. From what I see, I'm a bit turned off by a lack of fanciful villains.

Would anyone like to convince or encourage me? Or mentally prepare me?
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I say go for it Andy!
    I own most of the seasons....missing one I think, and I really enjoy them. I prefer the color seasons just because it's Superman and I love seeing that costume in all it's glory, but I admit the stories are better in the earlier B/W episodes.

You actually get to see a LOT more of Superman being super in the show. He's constantly smashing through brick walls, using his x-ray vision, etc. It's really cool. I think you'll love it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I have the whole series on dvd. I just cherry-pick. The cast is engaging. Season one is more adult and gritty (cf. Lost in Space). Reeves is just fine as Superman, his performance doesn't infringe in any way on my affection for Reeve. He's more avuncular, and his Kent more capable.

The episodes do feel dated, and under-budgeted at times. But I can can push past that and enjoy myself--after all, the Reeves films have some dated elements as well.

If I have one complaint about the show, it's that it's rather pedestrian in the way that the Wonder Woman series is in later seasons. I like good villains, and Batman '66 delivers those in a way that Superman and WW on TV do not. So I find the Superboy series a little more fun than Superman. But there's a lot more of Superman and Batman in their shows than WW (seasons 2-3).

I suggest you try season one and go from there. It's just my opinion, but I hope it helps.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 30, '18, 1:56 PM. Reason: darn esses
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

They are half hour episodes, correct? Do they have cliffhangers connecting them, or are they self contained?

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Half-hours, yes--self-contained.

Something to mull In my mind (and I think T-bold has said this before), the Superman TV series is the golden-age Superman, and Reeves' movies are silver/bronze-age. For me, they don't conflict.

Also, if you're a Noell Neill fan, she's not Lois until season two.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 30, '18, 2:01 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

yeah start at season one. George Reeves was my Superman growing up, and he really did something with the dual role.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

There's basically 2 styles of George Reeves Supermans

B&W episodes -- gritty and violent --- almost Batmanny

Color episodes -- fun and geared more toward children

Both are GREAT but pick the ones above that more suit your taste

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

^ Interesting. Could be the color ones are more for me. It may be awhile though. Thanks to Plaid Stallions, I've got the complete series of UFO and Star Maidens to binge on.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji
                  It may be awhile though. Thanks to Plaid Stallions, I've got the complete series of UFO and Star Maidens to binge on.
                  Oh that Brian, he's always proselytizing UFO lol--but he got me hooked on it, too! Great show.

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

The great thing is that they do not need to be watched in order. The only one that has chronological relevance is episode 1 season 1 "Superman on Earth" - It would be a great one to watch first, but is not necessary.

The only one that is not half an hour is Superman and the Mole men. It can be viewed as a 2 parter (The Unkown People) totaling 44 mins. of content (1 hour with comercials) - Or better as a feature film that is 61 mins long and served as the pilot for the series. There are some minor inconsistencies with the series.

The B&W episodes are generally thought to be higher quality and are sort of Crime Noir.

The Color episodes are a little more fun and -well in color.

Most episodes are great -but there are some duds. So if you start with a dud, give it a chance.

Just watched 5 minutes to doom B&W. It is very good.
                    All that Glitters is the final episode, and I love it!
                    Last edited by Brue; Dec 30, '18, 6:18 PM.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, I love Television that isn't sequential. It's fun being able to pick any episode of Star Trek or Batman to enjoy.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

It's a fun show. Watched as a kid in reruns with my Mom, who loved it as a child. Likable cast and fun stories. The weakness of the show by modern standard is it didn't always have the greatest villains and George was maybe not always in the most heroic shape.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Stamp Day For Superman is in public domain, so it's easy to track down and watch for free on the internet.

It's not 100% like a Superman episode because it's basically a half hour PSA commercial geared toward kids, but it very much does show why George Reeves is so likable as Superman.

Here it is from youtube.

m

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I loved it when he was on I Love Lucy, too.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks for the YouTube, Mikey. I'll give it a look.

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              The weakness of the show by modern standard is it didn't always have the greatest villains and George was maybe not always in the most heroic shape.
                              George's physique is just fine by me. I'm hoping the charm and fun factor outweigh the lack of a Rogue's Gallery.

If not, I still haven't seen Shazam! since childhood, so...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎