Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: George Reeves' Adventures of Superman for Beginners

Love the whole show. The B/W episodes are a bit more pulp, but not overly violent or anything. Some of the FX are pretty bad, but the stories are generally pretty engaging throughout. It's all very wholesome.

Blog Entries
    I watched it religiously as a kid on "RocketShip 7" every afternoon, even when i was 5 I thought it looked fake but it didn't bother me. The cast is wonderful but it's of it's time and the plots get pretty repetitive.

My in-laws gifted me the box set a few years back and I watched one or two but it was impossible for me to binge.

Images
    Do what I did as a kid. I saw George first, but after Chris became MY Superman, George was simply the Earth-Two Superman, and Chris was Earth-One. And it worked in my brain whenever the two would meet in the comics too!

Chris

when you watch THINK: EARTH-TWO, even though it is the Daily Planet and NOT the Daily STAR! And it is Perry White and NOT George Taylor!

I just love that everyone wore those SUITS day to day. I wonder did people REALLY Dress like that in everyday real life???

WOuld like to wear a suit like that for Halloween!
    Sorry, didn't see this comment above until AFTER I posted mine. But yeah, think Earth-Two.
    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jan 3, '19 at 4:46 PM.
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I watched it religiously as a kid on "RocketShip 7" every afternoon, even when i was 5 I thought it looked fake but it didn't bother me. The cast is wonderful but it's of it's time and the plots get pretty repetitive.

My in-laws gifted me the box set a few years back and I watched one or two but it was impossible for me to binge.

RocketShip 7 on channel 7 out of Buffalo was the morning show. Are you thinking of Commander Tom on that channel in the afternoon? He was the guy who wore a modified Mountie jacket, but also had puppets as co-hosts. The 70's were good for local programming like that. Anyway, that's where I watched Adventures off Superman as well as Batman.

I have the first few seasons on DVD, but I agree, it's not something you can binge. The nostalgia factor wears off pretty quickly.

Some unrelated Rocketship 7 trivia. The host was named Dave Thomas. For whatever reason he changed that to Dave Roberts when he became a meteorologist in Philadelphia, where I live now. His son is David Boreanaz who played Angel on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and his own show.

Images
    The first season is more pulpy, and the second is still a bit less juvenile-directed than the later seasons, but I still get a big kick out of the later color seasons. Some of the episodes were adapted to the comics, or FROM the comics, with DC big-wig Whitney Ellsworth acting as executive producer on the series.

My favorite episode is probably the second to last, "The Perils of Superman". Superman has to save all of his friends (even Clark Kent!) from a gang of iron-masked revenge seekers. It's a tribute to old serials, and Superman at his most exciting, and also directed by George Reeves! The ending hook is similar to one we'll get on Superman: The Animated Series decades later.

Of course, a classic earlier episode is Season Two's "Panic in the Sky" which as a concept and title has continued to resonate in Superman lore.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Does anybody disagree George Reeves Clark Kent was THE best Clark Kent EVER ?
    .................................................. .......................

It has the same flaws that the silver age comics had logic wise. Genius invents something that would conceivably be worth a fortune in the free market and crooks use it to knock over a laundromat and chuckle about how clever they are.