Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

And I say again Mego would do DC(or Marvel) if it were available at 8 inch scale. It is not, FTC has that one for the next few years, and I assume Mattel(or Hasbro) wouldn't allow it at retail. If they could do it they would I have no doubt despite the PR. Even if that is what is said by Mego, how is that any different than rehashing Star Trek? Repopping old Mego and EMCE figures isn't really advancing that brand is it? Same applies to the WOZ or AJ.

Originally posted by MIB41
    Then you lost your bet. Marty said word for word, "We wanted to do a new scale with our DC license. FTC is doing something completely different and their licensing is in the collectors market. It has nothing to do with us or prevents us from doing what we want to do." Paul then came in and said they didn't want to just retread old ground. They said it directly to me and the context was crystal. I talked to these guys for quite a while. They have allot of ideas, but they're trying to advance the brand, not just recreate an old line. They've also already done some licensing in the eight inch scale that FTC is doing, such as KISS. So the proof is already on the pegs as well as the spoken word.

In terms of FTC, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've met Anthony and his team. I have met Marty and his team. Both parties are quite likable and personable individuals with loads of love for this hobby. It might disappoint you to know FTC encouraged Marty to bring Mego back. But they ARE in two separate markets, where licensing and volume production dictates different price points. But you know that already. FTC is not in Mego's way and Mego is not in FTC's way. They just have a different strategy than what you want.

Personally I'm glad they haven't tried the usual suspects in the same scale. History shows other companies that have chased these expensive licenses to sell the retro experience in the mass market, have not been rewarded. Captain Action had the Marvel license and bombed with the Avengers and Spider-man movies wildly popular. And Mattel laid an egg with the DC Retro license when those were released. I don't believe making a product line that looks like 1974 will give you the same results from 1974. It's a different time and appeal hits today's generation differently. I think Mego is looking for that new appeal in 2019.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      And I say again Mego would do DC(or Marvel) if it were available at 8 inch scale. It is not, FTC has that one for the next few years, and I assume Mattel(or Hasbro) wouldn't allow it at retail. If they could do it they would I have no doubt despite the PR. Even if that is what is said by Mego, how is that any different than rehashing Star Trek? Repopping old Mego and EMCE figures isn't really advancing that brand is it? Same applies to the WOZ or AJ.
      You understand how the company launched and how allot of that was at Target's expense since they bought the package. 2019 will look quite different. Kick back and enjoy!

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

I am so glad Mattel lost there deal. I loved it when they had the Justice League Unlimited line going and they released a lot of characters through the lineup. The dropped the ball on Young Justice TAS, Green Lantern TAS and Teen Titans TAS. It would have been better if they just released them all using the JLU bodies or creating teen bodies to go with the JLU.
        BATMAN & ROBIN 2.jpgTEAM ARROW.jpgysmault.jpg

There 6 inch DC figures were getting harder to find and I just gave up on them. Then there subscription figures were a mess. I got started when they offered the oversized figure and when they stopped I stopped. I did get my Doom Patrol and a messed up Metal Men set out of it.

The problem is just what is Spin Master going to release and what size?
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

There's no way Mego has the license to make DC figures at an 8 inch scale. I don't care what any of them said.

FTC may not be who is blocking it, it might be Mattel still, I can't say, but I can say Mego doesn't have the right to make them. If they did, they would have. Anything else is lunacy.

"Alright boys, we got the DC license, we can do anything we want with it. Hmm, well, we could make 8 inch Batman figures and sell a ton of them... Or, get this, we could make figures in 14 inch scale... You know, a scale that no one collects. Let's put our DC license there and ONLY there..."

"Brilliant!"

"And for the 8 inch line, we'll make Al Bundy figures!"

"It's a license to print money!"

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Even Spock would admit that logical conclusions can be faulty.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 22, 2011

I have bought 22 of the new 8 inch Mego figures. I have not bought any of the 14 inch DC figures because I don't care for the scale. If those figures were 8 inch I would by most of them.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

I don't really care for the Mattel DC stuff, but I'm hoping Imaginext stays put! I love collecting those little guys!

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I think it was a missed opportunity they didn't do an Injustice vs Masters of the Universe line.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tmthor
                    God of Knock-offs
                    • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    I think it was a missed opportunity they didn't do an Injustice vs Masters of the Universe line.

No the real injustice is the lack of MOTU imaginext

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by tmthor
                      No the real injustice is the lack of MOTU imaginext
                      Truth.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                        I don't really care for the Mattel DC stuff, but I'm hoping Imaginext stays put! I love collecting those little guys!
                        Imaginext would be gone too wouldn't it? Its part of Mattel so it should be in the same boat. I would guess all these sub licenses like FTC, Mego, Mezco etc would have to renegotiate with Spin Master.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

IDK, Fisher-Price/Imaginext may be another license?

EDIT: A google seach yielded: Mattel will retain preschool and "girls'"-toy rights. And supposedly Hasbro has made attempts to buy out Mattel, as it is struggling amidst lay-offs.
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 9, '19, 2:14 PM.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            Imaginext would be gone too wouldn't it? Its part of Mattel so it should be in the same boat. I would guess all these sub licenses like FTC, Mego, Mezco etc would have to renegotiate with Spin Master.
                            It's a different category, i.e. Toddler Toys, and Mattel retained the toddler toy license, it didn't go to Spin Masters.

-M
                            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎