Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toy-Ventures 2: Chained Monsters or Monster Squad?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures 2: Chained Monsters or Monster Squad?

This week's episode examines the curious toy line "Chained Monsters" by Carlin Playthings that looks suspiciously like the characters from the 1976 TV series "The Monster Squad". You can see more Monster Squad merchandise at the PlaidStallions Gallery of Monster Squad Toys: http://www.plaidstallions.com/monstersquad.html Visit us online at www.plaidstallions.com Twitter: @plaidstallionsFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Loved this...I have only come to know Monster Squad in more recent years, and I love discoveries like this.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

As i dug even deeper this afternoon, I found products branded with Carlin but maufactured by GLJ, there was a relationship here.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Neat! I really liked the show when I was little. It's a real shame the Ideal figures never got made. They looked great. And ugh the Kids from Caper hot dog van. My older sister loved that show so of course I got stuck watching it.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

One of the great pleasures of this (and the Palid Stallions) site is discovering that the weird, brief genre thing that you recall and enjoy is enjoyed by others.

I loved the Monster Squad, too--so much so that my Mego Mad Monsters immediately became stand-ins for the Squad. (I think I used Aquaman for Walt.)

It's a derivative, cheap, crazy wonderful show. The guest villains and costars are quite good at times. The scripts range from awful to clever bits aimed at adult/parental viewers. Monster Squad isn't as slick as Electra-Woman and Dyna-Girl (love them, too), but it's more fun.

Someday when the stars align, I'll have a real custoMego Monster Squad and and van--thanks, FTC Batlab!
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

I'm one of those folks who traces crossovers among shows and movies, such as an actor repeating a part. Michael Lane played Frankenstein's monster here, a part he also played in Frankenstein 1970, and once on the Monkees (the other time they had the monster, Richard Kiel played the role.) While connecting to the horror movie might be a stretch, I feel the Monkees connects well with Monster Squad.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Monster Meanies! That's where that Godzilla came from!

I always associated it with the other bendie Godzilla, which was GLJ, and had similar card design.

(http://www.plaidstallions.com/halloween/gljgodzilla.jpg) While many of you may have been aware of this vintage bendy from toymaker GLJ, I was blissfully unaware at how cool it was. I periodically search GLJ on Ebay in hope of finding a Monster Squad Frank Bop Bag (http://www.plaidstallions.com/images/frankbop.jpg) (someday)

Monster%u00252BMeanies%u00252BGodzilla%u00252B%u00252528MOC%u00252529.JPGgljgodzilla.jpg

I'd bet Carlin was a knockoff distribution arm for GLJ.

Comment

• Goblin19
                Talkative Member
                • May 2, 2002

Those are wonderful. Never seen them before. Amazingly, I don’t think I ever saw Monster Squad.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I missed out on Monster Squad, and never knew it existed until coming here. I missed out on the DVD set a decade or so back, too. I'm fascinated by the concept, because I often played with whatever versions of the monsters I could find with them AS good guys/super heroes.

Sounds like you may need to do a sequel confirming your Carlin/GLJ connections! Great stuff. Make more!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎