Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Comment

• warlock664
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 15, 2009

I guess what's surprising to me is that I would've thought most Universal Monster fans would look at colorizing these films as analogous to George Lucas monkeying with his original Star Wars trilogy. And I assume (maybe incorrectly) that most of the pro-colorization camp believes "Han shot first" and detests the added special effects. But maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by warlock664
        I guess what's surprising to me is that I would've thought most Universal Monster fans would look at colorizing these films as analogous to George Lucas monkeying with his original Star Wars trilogy. And I assume (maybe incorrectly) that most of the pro-colorization camp believes "Han shot first" and detests the added special effects. But maybe I'm wrong.
        When Famous Monsters burst on the scene with their color-drenched renditions of black and white monsters gracing every cover, It was something magical. It's still how I picture the monsters in my head. I would have no problem with the films being enhanced like that. As long as the original b/w versions are preserved and you can see both, what's the harm?

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

And I assume (maybe incorrectly) that most of the pro-colorization camp believes "Han shot first" and detests the added special effects. But maybe I'm wrong.
          I dislike the changes made to the classic trilogy but I don't have a problem with the special editions. I also don't have problems with director cuts or colorization. The BIG problem I do have is trying to rewrite history by replacing the theatrical cuts. As long as the originals are preserved and shown along side the edited versions, I'm fine with it.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I do fall into the original SW Trilogy, (which is why I kept my laser disc boxset all these years). The difference is the upgrade. 90's CGI is a small bump from 70's optical FX. It's more a pipeline/process preference akin to vinyl v digital music.

A closer analogy would be turning Star Wars and into a Real 3D experience. That post process is more than just switching fx plates or mo-capping Jabba. A 3D conversion of a movie never intended for 3D would require a a complete duplication of scenes and color separation. It's a literal reinterpretation of the original shooting production. I think that's why Lucas dropped the project and Disney hasn't moved forward.

So taking a B/W film whose entire shoot was built on live theater and turning that into a modernized film...maybe Dwayne is right and it would have to be Hammer by way of Gogos. I can certainly see Pali's point when he references German Expressionism, as that was the backbone of Frankenstein so that would have to be conscience of the post process. Reminds me of how Burton intended Batman Returns to be a "colorized" B/W German Horror film...

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Hedji
              Oh really? No choice on those? That really does stink.
              I bought the first season on HD DVD when Toshiba lost the format war and everyone was blowing out HD DVDs cheap, no choice on that either, only the new versions. That was before the Blu-ray versions though, at the time Paramount was on the other side of the war. Come to think of it, I haven't watched that set in years, not sure if those discs even work anymore (double sided HD DVDs often had playback/freezing issues after a couple years as it turns out).

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

I like the Trek enhanced effects. I am actually halfway through season 2 right now. for season 3 I actually ended up with bluray so it has both versions and it is neat to watch sometimes in the original format. I just always felt the enhanced effects were mostly subtle. some are a little jarring but most are just the exterior shots of the ship and planets

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

I’m not against colorizing as long as it’s not offered up as the “standard” version. This has become the case with the colorized version of Miracle On 34th Street. You can’t watch it, on TV, unless it’s the colorized version. This Christmas; I had to resort to renting the original version via on demand. So, if the colorize these films and offer them as alternative versions, fine, whatever. Just don’t colorize them and mysteriously “lose” them in their original format.

What I’d much rather see is 4K Blu-ray transfers, from the masters, of these films in their original format.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, I like the way it is on the It's A Wonderful Life Blu Ray. 2 discs; one color, one b/w.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

^ Thats a good way to go about it. I believe that It’s A Wonderful Life was colorized years ago and, fortunately, in my opinion, NBC and their sister networks only air the original version. It appears that recently colorized is done much, much better, even if it’s not my preference. Don’t get me wrong, I love old movies that were filmed in color such as The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Wizard of Oz and Jesse James. I love all of those 50’s Westerns and other films such as Bad Day at Black Rock that were shot in color while being filmed on location in very scenic areas...wide screen, as well. But, when movies were filmed in black and white, I just tend to prefer them that way.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Last edited by hedrap; Jan 7, '19, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎