X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

black staining on figures

Is there any way to remove the black stains from the new Mego heads? The black material on the Trek and Kiss figures is leaving stains on the heads and arms of those figures. It won't wipe off, but is their something that will draw it out of the plastic?
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Its dye from the clothes? Possibly Benzoyl Peroxide zit cream. Its used on dolls and GI Joes for old stains like that. You have to wrap it in plastic and let it sit for a while. The trick is to keep the BP from drying out on the figure.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      Is there any way to remove the black stains from the new Mego heads? The black material on the Trek and Kiss figures is leaving stains on the heads and arms of those figures. It won't wipe off, but is their something that will draw it out of the plastic?
      ugh, maybe the production on these figures. sorry to hear.
      Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
      :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
      I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        Its dye from the clothes? Possibly Benzoyl Peroxide zit cream. Its used on dolls and GI Joes for old stains like that. You have to wrap it in plastic and let it sit for a while. The trick is to keep the BP from drying out on the figure.
        Thanks!

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

This is the best stuff I've ever used on GiJoes to remove stains, ink etc... I'm sure it will probably work on these as well.

http://www.twinpines.com/remove-zit
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Cornelius POTA
            ugh, maybe the production on these figures. sorry to hear.
            Hate to inform your newfound Mego bashing, but its a pretty common thing along all toylines with cloth goods today. Factories don't prewash fabrics anymore so there is usually bleed on them, happened to some Venture bros I have and Twilight Zone.
            Last edited by thunderbolt; Dec 25, '18, 2:02 PM.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• K
              Fun Will Now Commence
              • Jun 20, 2001

Remove zit gets black off andorian tunics too
              I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                ... its a pretty common thing along all toylines with cloth goods today. Factories don't prewash fabrics anymore so there is usually bleed on them, happened to some Venture bros I have and Twilight Zone.
                Yes, and quite common on GI Joes within the last 20 years. Certainly not limited to Mego.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

I think the dye should be washed out of toy clothing, because it's not something you want absorbing through your skin. The chemicals really should be removed before children get them. Just like clothing should be washed before you wear it when it's new.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I think that's a good idea. I always prewash my new clothing, towels, and linens.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

I think it should be a "child safety law". No chemicals for kids!

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2011

I think it should be a "child safety law". No chemicals for kids!
                        good one, Lonnie.

happy holidays, mego buddy.
                        Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                        :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                        I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• bgiles73
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 14, 2010

How should one go about washing Mego black fabrics? I’m sure the Star Trek pants could hold up if I put them in a mesh pouch, but what about the Kiss figures costumes? Also what would be advisable settings, temperature and detergents used? Air dry or dryer? Fabric Softener?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

I would not try to wash the Kiss outfits, or the Romulan outfit, or the Trek shirts. I would be very worried about the black bleeding and staining the other fabrics. Or the Demon wings fraying and the chains coming off.

Comment

• Riderfan
                              Megos are cool
                              • Feb 14, 2012

I would not try to wash the Kiss outfits, or the Romulan outfit, or the Trek shirts. I would be very worried about the black bleeding and staining the other fabrics. Or the Demon wings fraying and the chains coming off.
                              Not to start a debate or even disagree with you, but what about hand washing with warm water & Oxiclean? A few years back I had good results cleaning my childhood surviving Falcon & Neptunian outfits this way despite reading this could wreck them.

Of course I'm talking vintage stuff so not an apples to apples comparison for sure.

Personally I'd never put any Mego outfit in a washing machine no matter how well it was protected.
                              I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎