X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Battle of the Planets question

I used to watch Battle of the Planets in syndication as a kid on a scratchy UHF channel out of Springfield, MA (we lived in northern CT at the time), and loved the show, but only got to see sporadic episodes. My wife is a big fan too, but encountered them when she was in college on a bootleg VHS one of her D&D group owned. I recently picked up and read the Top Cow/Image Battle of the Planet maxi-series Alex Ross was involved with as well as a number of the Gold Key/Whitman comics, and have a hankering to see the actual cartoons again and m looking to find them on DVD. I tried looking through Amazon and there seems to be a number of different versions out there (most out of print but available from Amazon sellers it seems), and I know there are a lot of folks here much more knowledgeable about BoTP than I, so I am looking for some advice about which version of the DVD is best, which has the episodes as they were shown in syndication in the 70s (I know there was some sort of update and rerelease of the shows later) etc. Any to avoid? etc. Any help will be appreciated.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

I'm no expert, but I love BOTP as well.

This is the set I've always wanted to get but it is out of print. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battle-Of-T...wAAOSwaPpcHXXb

I don't usually encourage bootleg stuff, there are DVD rips of most of the episodes and that's an option.

Also there's plenty of Gatchaman DVD sets out there, but most will have subtitles and those won't align as much with what you remember watching as a kid. They are good, but it's different as they edited the BOTP pretty heavily in some episodes.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• LordMudd
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 22, 2011

Youtube is your friend.

CCC.

Comment

• WannabeMego
        Made in the USA
        • May 2, 2003

I have this Set as originally released as 9 DVD Box Sets:

...BUT...there is a Blu-Ray Release that condenses this into a Cleaner Package:

Explore the Crunchyroll Store's anime and manga sales, deals, and promotions this Black Friday and Cyber Monday! Immerse yourself in exclusive offers, limited editions, and daily mega deals, enhancing your collection with unparalleled discounts. Don't miss out on the holiday specials that make every purchase a celebration of anime joy—shop now for unbeatable sales and immerse yourself in the ultimate anime experience! Discover the latest anime releases & pre-orders at the Official Crunchyroll Store. Shop a variety of figures, clothing, and more. Enjoy free U.S. shipping on orders over $50. Explore now! For a limited time only, get the best Black Friday deals on a large selection of officially licensed anime figures at the Crunchyroll store! Sales on figures, manga, blu-rays, DVDs, clothing, home goods, plush, accessories, and more! Save on merch from popular series such as Dragon Ball, My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer, One Piece, Jujutsu Kaisen, and more!

My Personal Opinion...This is the Set to Get...Original Gatchaman Japanese Episodes (UnEdited) along with the The Battle of the Planets/G-Force American Episodes (Edited)...so you can pick which you prefer and/or compare.
        Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• LordMudd
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 22, 2011

I pulled one of these up on Youtube this morning, I did not recall the team leaders voice being Casey Casum. (Probably spelled that wrong.)

CCC.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by MRP
            I used to watch Battle of the Planets in syndication as a kid on a scratchy UHF channel out of Springfield, MA (we lived in northern CT at the time), and loved the show, but only got to see sporadic episodes. My wife is a big fan too, but encountered them when she was in college on a bootleg VHS one of her D&D group owned. I recently picked up and read the Top Cow/Image Battle of the Planet maxi-series Alex Ross was involved with as well as a number of the Gold Key/Whitman comics, and have a hankering to see the actual cartoons again and m looking to find them on DVD. I tried looking through Amazon and there seems to be a number of different versions out there (most out of print but available from Amazon sellers it seems), and I know there are a lot of folks here much more knowledgeable about BoTP than I, so I am looking for some advice about which version of the DVD is best, which has the episodes as they were shown in syndication in the 70s (I know there was some sort of update and rerelease of the shows later) etc. Any to avoid? etc. Any help will be appreciated.

-M
            That truly is a great question. Thanks for asking it!

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by WannabeMego
              I have this Set as originally released as 9 DVD Box Sets:

...BUT...there is a Blu-Ray Release that condenses this into a Cleaner Package:

Explore the Crunchyroll Store's anime and manga sales, deals, and promotions this Black Friday and Cyber Monday! Immerse yourself in exclusive offers, limited editions, and daily mega deals, enhancing your collection with unparalleled discounts. Don't miss out on the holiday specials that make every purchase a celebration of anime joy—shop now for unbeatable sales and immerse yourself in the ultimate anime experience! Discover the latest anime releases & pre-orders at the Official Crunchyroll Store. Shop a variety of figures, clothing, and more. Enjoy free U.S. shipping on orders over $50. Explore now! For a limited time only, get the best Black Friday deals on a large selection of officially licensed anime figures at the Crunchyroll store! Sales on figures, manga, blu-rays, DVDs, clothing, home goods, plush, accessories, and more! Save on merch from popular series such as Dragon Ball, My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer, One Piece, Jujutsu Kaisen, and more!

My Personal Opinion...This is the Set to Get...Original Gatchaman Japanese Episodes (UnEdited) along with the The Battle of the Planets/G-Force American Episodes (Edited)...so you can pick which you prefer and/or compare.
              I’m happy the question was asked. Thanks for the knowledgeable reply! I have a gift card and some boy-rays to buy, so this is going on the list. I was in love with G-Force when I was a little boy. I didn’t know it as Battle of The Planets back then. Though, I did have a comic or two at that time (and maybe a coloring book), but can’t recall if they were referred to as BOTP or G-Force.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

The Gatchaman DVD sets are definitely worth getting hold of if you're a fan of any incarnation of the show.
                (I loved BOTP as a kid, and then many years later I finally saw the unedited "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman" episodes.)
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎