Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, I don't discriminate lol. The first film is still magical to me, I watch it and I'm immediately 10 years old again! I like ESB very much, too. But somehow, I "outgrew" the SW franchise an a way I never did with Trek, which affected me more intellectually and philosophically. I think you might access you inner child better than I do.

I think often of Lucas creating SW because he couldn't to a Flash Gordon film, and then we got a FG film in response!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I wish Lucas would do Flash Gordon now.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

The pod race dragged on a bit in the film but made a really good video game.

Edited to be totally clear. I am not being sarcastic. I really enjoyed the video game and still have it for the N64.
        Last edited by Werewolf; May 4, '19, 3:04 PM.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji
          I wish Lucas would do Flash Gordon now.
          The (to me) heartbreaking failure of John Carter probably makes that risky.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
            2. Qui-Gon Jinn...possibly the greatest Jedi Knight ever.
            Couldn’t disagree with you more.

I like Liam Neeson. But his character was so flawed. He misfired on his assessment of future Vader...and was easily defeated by Darth Maul. Hardly the greatest Jedi Knight ever.
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I liked McGregor’s performance...and Darth Maul was awesome. I also agree that it features the best lightsaber duels.

Williams music was fantastic as always.

But other than that, I hate the movie. The overall acting is atrocious. Feels like a video game more than a movie...way too much CGI. Rastafarian Jar Jar Binks, good grief. The Trade Federation baddies with their yellow-peril accents, so uncomfortable and cringe worthy. Natalie Portman never looked more wooden. Technology is way more advanced than the original trilogy. The Pod Race, holy mother of lame. Was the blow-by-blow announcing really necessary? And finally, the kid, yikes. There’s a lot of young lads who can act (early Elijah Wood and Haley Joel Osment for example), unfortunately, this young actor wasn’t one of them.

Saw the movie at the theater...and once again at home. That’s more than enough viewings for me.

Sorry...
              sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hector
                Saw the movie at the theater...and once again at home. That’s more than enough viewings for me.
                Perhaps you should give it another viewing. I personally think it has aged well. And you cannot deny that many of the effects blended model work, practical costumes, and CGI seamlessly. For its time, it was cutting edge, and it's SFX influence is still felt to this day. Anyone reminded of the Naboo land battle during the Wakanda force field battle in Infinity War?

Hector, I'm glad you had some positive things to say. But not only are your criticisms wrong, I'd like to point out that this thread is titled the Merits of the Phantom Menace. And it has my name on it. There are plenty of places on the internet where you can point out the shortcomings of TPM all you want.

Here, let's cleanse the palette with one of the most viewed and influential teaser trailers ever.

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

I wish there were a fan edit of the 3 prequels, condensing them to one movie. There is good stuff there. It basically is the 2 page prologue to the novel of Star Wars.

The other thing that would have made it better is if they really had used Jar Jar as the dark Jedi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezcP-Ys_voY

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

When Sharon Carter gave her "Stand Firm and Be That Tree When Everyone Else Tells You You're Wrong" speech in Captain America Winter Soldier, she was speaking to me and my love for Jar Jar Binks.

Love the goofy Gungan.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                      I'd like to point out that this thread is titled the Merits of the Phantom Menace.
                      Not necessarily in order...

1. McGregor’s performance
                      2. Darth Maul was awesome
                      3. Best lightsaber duels
                      4. Williams soundtrack

I’ll add another one...

5. Natalie Portman is always hot

There!

sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                        Not necessarily in order...

1. McGregor’s performance
                        2. Darth Maul was awesome
                        3. Best lightsaber duels
                        4. Williams soundtrack

I’ll add another one...

5. Natalie Portman is always hot

There!

all excellent points Hector.

Comment

• k2
                          Career Member
                          • Sep 12, 2007

i didn’t really like them when they came out, not because they were “bad movies” but i thought it just didn’t link up right with the ot. HOWEVER i understand this is an appreciation thread and can honestly say i very much enjoy the prequels now.
                          definitely so much to like, your original list is spot on and let me emphasize how great Palpatine is!!

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

We will likely never see merchandising on the scale of TPM ever again. Of course they overdid it. There was so much stuff unsold on the shelves. But who cares? I'd like to share a couple of oddball pieces that I picked up back in the day. Nobody needs to focus on the common stuff, but I thought some of you might appreciate some of the weirder stuff that did not come from Hasbro.

Costume company Rubies got a slice of the pie. These Jedi Braids were almost like the new Rack Toys of 1999. Very cheap, sold at Kay Bee along pegs of action figures. You could get adult and child sized. I like the kids' one, because it was one of the only products at the time where you could see an image of Padawan Anakin from the ending frames of the film. I love the absurdity of this piece.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

This scene never fails to amaze and delight me. Just the unfolding ridiculousness of the enemy droids. It's the first time in the film we see they could actually be a real threat. Everyone has movies where they recall a parent's reaction... I remember my dad loving this and exclaiming "Oh Wow!" when the MTT loads rack after rack of Battle Droid to the grassy ground.

I LOVE the sound effects and the LACK of music in this scene.

You have to remember this ground battle (good guys on the left of the screen, bad guys on the right) with this scale of CGI characters was a cinematic first in 1999. It's influence, either direct or subconsciously, can be felt from Lord of the Rings to Avengers Infinity War (and Endgame).

Comment

• Klosterheim
                                Persistent Member
                                • Mar 23, 2013

Many great things, I love the look of the somewhat recent toy version of the Battle Droid drop ship carrier!

This all reminds me that I still have Jar Jar Binks on a Pepsi can, or some other drinks from The Phantom Menace.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎