Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

My biggest disappointment with the movie is that Boss Nass didn't do anything. Especially when you consider who played him. I wanted him to take on the entire Droid army by himself.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by jwyblejr
      My biggest disappointment with the movie is that Boss Nass didn't do anything. Especially when you consider who played him. I wanted him to take on the entire Droid army by himself.
      Good point! I might have been neat to see him reveal some kind of super power or fighting skill that takes out a bunch of droids! I love the film, but I like that you brought a positive idea I hadn't considered. I mean, it IS Brian Blessed, and it would've been cool to see some Vultan style Flash Gordon cackling and antics from him in battle, right?

Come to think of it... where the heck WAS Boss Nass during the battle?

I hope no one minds if I add to this thread periodically this year. I have some cool photos and videos to share. I think it might be a nice way to look back on 20 years of Episode I.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I love publicity shots. Here's a fine one.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Remember when the Vanity Fair issue came out in advance of the film? We all thought this scene would be in the movie. Even though it was just a publicity shot, to this day, it's one of my favorite images from the production.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Looks like Hasbro is acknowledging 20 years of TPM. You can recreate that photo above with these new 6" Black Series figures revealed at Toy Fair.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

I remember going to my local theatre and asking which film had the new Star Wars trailer before it, and then buying a ticket JUST to watch the trailer. It was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen.

Actually, 1999 was my favorite year EVER for movies. The Phantom Menace, The Mummy, Sleepy Hollow, House on Haunted Hill, The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, The Haunting...I was in heaven.

The Mummy is still my most watched film ever. I saw it seven times in the theatre, and wore out two VHS copies before I bought a DVD player.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by enyawd72
                The Mummy is still my most watched film ever. I saw it seven times in the theatre, and wore out two VHS copies before I bought a DVD player.
                I love that movie, too. It's been airing on cable/satellite a little bit in the last few weeks. I was always a huge "Raiders of the Lost Ark" fan and I felt "The Mummy" was getting really close to capturing many of things I loved about "Raiders". It's a fun movie.

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  1. Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine/Darth Sidious...what an incredible performance.

2. Qui-Gon Jinn...possibly the greatest Jedi Knight ever.

3. The Pod Race...what a rush!

4. Darth Maul...right up there with Boba Fett as far as coolness.

5. Best three way lightsaber duel of all time.

6. Duel of the Fates...one of the best pieces of Star Wars music EVER.

7. Ewan MacGregor channeling Alec Guinness as Ob-Wan.

I could go on...but the point is, I love this film, and the entire prequel trilogy.
                  I can give it all of that EXCEPT the pod race. I want that 762 minutes of my life back (that's how long it was, right?)

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Brue
                    I can give it all of that EXCEPT the pod race. I want that 762 minutes of my life back (that's how long it was, right?)
                    My feelings exactly, Brue!

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

I still think Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan was the high-point through three movies and I loved Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon in "The Phantom Menace". That lightsaber battle they had with Darth Maul was eye opening....we saw nothing like that through the original trilogy. Moving forward, I felt ripped-off that THAT was all we got of two great characters (Qui-Gon and Darth Maul) and had to sit through a story that made me think Darth Vader was something FAR LESS than I had always imagined.

"Rogue One" redeemed that a little bit, though. That scene that led in to Episode IV was really "Wowza!!!" .

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Ah the Pod Race...

It is divisive, isn't it? It's really a marvel of special effects though. Difficult to tell what is model and what isn't in that environment. I'll be saying this a lot in this thread, sorry (not sorry), but it still holds up today, 20 years later. For me, what really makes the Pod Race is Ben Burtt's sound effects. Giving each pod its own unique engine sound was a stroke of genius. I love how Sebulba's pod sounds like a vicious lawn mower from hell. I adore John Williams to the end of time, but this was one of those setpieces where it was smart to dial out the music and let Burtt's sounds tell the story.

Remember, the original theatrical cut of the race was shorter. It was when it arrived on home video that Lucas edited in the second lap. So if it seems exhausting, it was shorter the first time you saw it theatrically.

Dwayne, I remember liking but not loving the Mummy. I guess I wanted some bandages. Have you ever been to Universal Studios? The Mummy Ride based on the films is nothing short of spectacular! You'd love it!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I just want to say, that Duel of the Fates video made me laugh so hard on my lunch break. It was just what I needed on possibly the most stressful day I've had in my professional career. Thank you Hedji!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Happy May the 4th. Who here remembers the marketing tie in of KFC (Colonel Sanders), Pizza Hut (Pizza Hut Girl), and Taco Bell (the Chihuahua)?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I just want to wish a Happy Star Wars Day to one of my favorite SW fans--from a Trekkie.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Thank you, Sir. I am a HUUUGE Trek fan too. I just finished re-watching Season 3 and am now onto Season 2. I have room in my heart for both.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎