X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
    Costume company Rubies got a slice of the pie. These Jedi Braids were almost like the new Rack Toys of 1999. Very cheap, sold at Kay Bee along pegs of action figures.
    Not as creepy as the Jar Jar tongue candy but still plenty weird.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Here are a couple of absolutely delightful Jar Jar products (Beyond the infamous candy dispenser)

I just love this Pez dispenser. At the time, probably the only toy of the Mos Espa Shop Owner. Great boxed presentation of a cool candy toy.

I have this guy. He is technically an alarm clock that you can set and he will read off the time every hour as well as quote lines from the Film. Ahmed Best provided all the recordings, and it is delightfully annoying.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I just love this Pez dispenser.
        Yeah, the Pez dispenser is perfectly fine. It's the lollipop that creeps me out.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I regret selling my Jar Jar tongue lollipop. It's one of those SW collectibles, like the C-3PO tape dispenser that has achieved legendary status, thanks to Celebration Panels and Steve Sansweet books highlighting the truly absurd stuff out there.

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

The Force was so strong with The Phantom Menace, that it even united three fast-food franchises for Star Wars: Episode I promotions!

I had a few of the toys, these are actually pretty cool.

The Phantom Menace Fast Food Toys 1999.jpg

The Phantom Menace box bottoms 1999 Episode I.jpg

Episode I Jar Jar Binks.jpg

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

There's a lot to love in TPM.
              Including: finally learning more about the Sith (Sidious and Maul are absolute highlights of the movie), witnessing the full grandeur of Coruscant, learning more about the Galactic Republic and the Senate, the epic lightsabre action, and the jaw-dropping spectacle of the Pod Race.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                The Force was so strong with The Phantom Menace, that it even united three fast-food franchises for Star Wars: Episode I promotions!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25485[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25486[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25487[/ATTACH]
                that's actually because at the time, they were all owned by Pepsi, who had the license

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Today is the day. 20 years old. I make no apologies. I adore The Phantom Menace. I understand the complaints... I've heard them many times. I'll concede it isn't perfect. Doesn't matter. It's entertaining and spectacular.

The film is aging remarkably well. Kids that grew up with it are holding it up. It is being assessed differently within the context of the Saga. Pop it in and watch it with a fresh set of eyes and an open mind.

It's the most hand-made of the prequels with the least green screen and most models. It's cast of characters is absolutely incredible. It pushed SFX forward in another quantum leap after Jurassic Park.

Love this movie.

So in tribute, I cooked this up in Photoshop:

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

nicely done.

as I have said, this movie is my favorite of the prequels. I agree with everything you said above

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Thank you! It's my favorite too, in many ways, although Revenge of the Sith is growing on me... It's somewhat of a minor masterpiece.

I have to say a big thank you to everyone in this thread for indulging me in this silly little celebration. Of course I'm very nostalgic, and perhaps obnoxiously opinionated, but I can't help but wave this flag in the face of all the negativity thrown at TPM. I know I'll never change anyone's mind, but it's awfully nice to know I'm in good company with others who appreciate it. Grateful to the Museum for giving me a place to blabber, and grateful to Dwayne for starting the thread for me in the first place.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

That's a delightful picture!

Thanks very much.

I saw The Phantom Menace four times in the movie theater in 1999.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

So in tribute, I cooked this up in Photoshop:
                          That's pretty cool. Nicely done.

I will say this, if you are going to watch PM, hunt down the original DVD. It's closest to theatrical release and still has the Yoda puppet.
                          Last edited by Werewolf; May 19, '19, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks for the compliments. It was a fun project. I photographed each figure individually on black glass to get the reflection correct.

I still have the widescreen VHS, which has the original shorter cut of the Podrace, if my memory serves.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I still have the widescreen VHS, which has the original shorter cut of the Podrace, if my memory serves.
                              Nice, even better. Yep, it has the theatrical pod race as well the Yoda puppet. They should have never gotten rid of the puppet.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎