X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

For Hedji...the MERITS of The Phantom Menace

1. Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine/Darth Sidious...what an incredible performance.

2. Qui-Gon Jinn...possibly the greatest Jedi Knight ever.

3. The Pod Race...what a rush!

4. Darth Maul...right up there with Boba Fett as far as coolness.

5. Best three way lightsaber duel of all time.

6. Duel of the Fates...one of the best pieces of Star Wars music EVER.

7. Ewan MacGregor channeling Alec Guinness as Ob-Wan.

I could go on...but the point is, I love this film, and the entire prequel trilogy.
    Last edited by enyawd72; Dec 23, '18, 3:07 PM.
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

1. Isn't Ian McDiarmid Palpatine?
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Madcap70
      • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by enyawd72
      1. Ian McKellan as Palpatine/Darth Sidious...what an incredible performance.

I could go on...but the point is, I love this film, and the entire prequel trilogy.
      I do as well but we got Fanboys that keep saying it's not the OT no really? It's the PT

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Falstaff13
        1. Isn't Ian McDiarmid Palpatine?
        Yeah, I meant McDiarmid. Brain fart typo. LOL

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Absolutely wonderful soundtrack and Ewan McGregor is very good as young Obi Wan.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

Yeah, I meant McDiarmid. Brain fart typo. LOL
            I honestly wasn't sure if I just had names confused when I read that. Gotcha.

And I actually like lots of the prequel trilogy, and McDiarmid is a major part of that.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

TPM is actually my favorite of the PT. it has flaws but overall it is a solid movie

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Wow... I'm sort of floored. It's like being handed a microphone and not knowing what to say. I'll start by saying, I love the film, and hope this thread can be the start of celebrating 20 years (!) of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

I can't limit myself to 10 things, so maybe I'll just keep bumping this thread to suggest another thing to consider about this flick.

Let's see... I guess I'll start with Naboo!

The movie is colorful, and full of fantasy. It's more like the Flash Gordon that Lucas set out to make in the first place. The two new environments, Naboo and Coruscant, are so perfectly realized. Especially Naboo. From the grasslands to the Theed capital to the Otoh Gunga underwater city. It's probably one of the niftiest planets in the entire saga.

Concept artist Ralph McQuarrie's protégée was Doug Chiang. He and Ian McCaig, along with animal designer Terryl Whitlatch really deserve some recognition for their world building.

Naboo easily could have been two or three different planets. But the story called for a theme of symbiosis, so we got tribal swamp amphibians paired and contrasted with Art Deco/ Renaissance aristocrats and their stylish security force in the same world.

I'll never forget my jaw dropping when the city of Otoh Gunga is first revealed. The glowing city, the use of choir in a John Williams Star Wars score - it was all pretty breathtaking.

I'm sure I'll come back to the ground battle at some point of this thread, but...

How cool is the scene when they first begin to take back Theed? "Get to your ships!" That wonderful blaster fight between Amidala's security and the Droid army. The Williams musical cue. The real squib explosions on the live set. The Wilhelm scream when the Naboo soldier gets hit. The Jedi with their sabers leading the way. The Naboo pilots in their WWI style duster jackets. Captain Panaka has one of the coolest costumes ever. We get synchronized grappling guns!

I just love how they have to duck down when the yellow Naboo fighters fly over their heads as they exit the hangar.

I'll leave it there for now. I have goosebumps already.

Comment

• Madcap70
                  • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Hedji
                  Wow... I'm sort of floored. It's like being handed a microphone and not knowing what to say. I'll start by saying, I love the film, and hope this thread can be the start of celebrating 20 years (!) of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

I can't limit myself to 10 things, so maybe I'll just keep bumping this thread to suggest another thing to consider about this flick.

Let's see... I guess I'll start with Naboo!

The movie is colorful, and full of fantasy. It's more like the Flash Gordon that Lucas set out to make in the first place. The two new environments, Naboo and Coruscant, are so perfectly realized. Especially Naboo. From the grasslands to the Theed capital to the Otoh Gunga underwater city. It's probably one of the niftiest planets in the entire saga.

Concept artist Ralph McQuarrie's protégée was Doug Chiang. He and Ian McCaig, along with animal designer Terryl Whitlatch really deserve some recognition for their world building.

Naboo easily could have been two or three different planets. But the story called for a theme of symbiosis, so we got tribal swamp amphibians paired and contrasted with Art Deco/ Renaissance aristocrats and their stylish security force in the same world.

I'll never forget my jaw dropping when the city of Otoh Gunga is first revealed. The glowing city, the use of choir in a John Williams Star Wars score - it was all pretty breathtaking.

I'm sure I'll come back to the ground battle at some point of this thread, but...

How cool is the scene when they first begin to take back Theed? "Get to your ships!" That wonderful blaster fight between Amidala's security and the Droid army. The Williams musical cue. The real squib explosions on the live set. The Wilhelm scream when the Naboo soldier gets hit. The Jedi with their sabers leading the way. The Naboo pilots in their WWI style duster jackets. Captain Panaka has one of the coolest costumes ever. We get synchronized grappling guns!

I just love how they have to duck down when the yellow Naboo fighters fly over their heads as they exit the hangar.

I'll leave it there for now. I have goosebumps already.
                  Amen brother preach on...

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

One of my favorite scenes is in the opening sequence when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are attacked by the destroyer droids and Qui-Gon uses his lightsaber to melt the blast doors.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 28, 2008

I remember the first time I heard MacGregor speak, and he perfectly matched that cadence Alec Guiness delivered with his lines, and it felt "just right."
                      Hugh H. Davis

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

I saw The Phantom Menance four times in the movie theater.

On DVD, I even put the Obi-wan and Darth Maul lightsaber dual in slow motion to count the lightsaber swings. I forget how many there were, but it was pretty amazing in the short amount of time, right after the energy shield drops.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Today is John Williams' 87th birthday. 20 years ago this very month, Williams began recording his epic score for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. Yes, it really is 20 years old this year.

And so, I give you... The Sing Along Version of Duel of the Fates. In case you've wondered what those lyrics are.

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

^

I IMMEDIATELY passed the link to that video along in a running text thread I have with four of my friends and all of them are Star Wars fans.

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

1. Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine/Darth Sidious...what an incredible performance.

I absolutely agree on all points except #3. That pod race wore/wears me out.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎