X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Bill Messener Loebs is homeless fundraiser

I spent some time with this man and his lovely wife back in 1991 when I was working a circut of (terrilbe) comic shows with them. I really enjoyed their company and I'm sorry to see them on hard times.

"Faith, it's an Uncertain World Entirely" -Peter Blood My name is Bill Messner-Loebs and my wif… Bill Messner-Loebs needs your support for Bill Messner-Loebs
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Thanks for sharing… Bill is kind and indeed worthy of our help.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I've never met the man, but I have had hours of enjoyment out of his writing, and I hate to see another human being suffer like this, especially through no fault of his own. I was sad to hear about this new turn of events AFTER we recorded a podcast covering his Christmas Flash and Green Lantern tale, so I added an addendum to the show about it. The best thing we can do is spread the word like this, and of course give a little.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

This story first surfaced earlier this year (late spring I believe). I had just met a bunch of guys from the Hero Initiate at Gem City Comic Con and bought a bunch of stuff from them that went to the charity (they had a booth plus the charity auction at the con went to Hero Initiative). After I saw the article, I contacted them, and they said they were on it and trying to get Bill some help. They said the best thing people could do to help Bill directly is buy new copies of his trade sand such that he gets royalties for or donate to the GoFundMe set up to help him, but donations to Hero Initiative would help them help creators in situations like Bill's. I had the privilege of meeting Bill at an earlier Gem City con and he is a great guy. After I talked to the Hero Initiative guys, I ordered a couple of trades of Journey (Bill's creator owned series) and some other books and made some calls to con organizers I knew to see if they could help publicize this in our comic con community and maybe get Bill a few appearances where he can sell stuff directly and get more people aware of his situation. I also set up my Amazon Smile to have Hero Initiative benefit.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Blue Meanie
          Banned
          • Jun 23, 2001

I don't particularly care for Neal Adams...but he did have one really great idea that didn't go anywhere and that was a union for comic book artists/writers/creators. It is really sad to see a lot of these artists/writers/creators hit hard times or have difficulties paying for medical insurance etc. Thank God for Hero Initiative and for everyone that spreads the word either through media or word of mouth. When you see greats like Dave Cockrum, Norm Breyfogle, Messner Loebs and others having these issues it really breaks your heart. I think the time for a union for these artists/writers/creators has long gone, especially in these days of independent books. I wonder if it would have gained ground had it succeeded in the early 70's with ACBA??!!?? Again, donate if you can when you go to a comic book show and meet these artists like Walt Simonson, Joe Staton, and many others that have donation jars on their tables. They don't charge for autographs like some do (Yup...looking at you Neal Adams...Ironic isn't it??!!??) but they ask that you consider a donation to the Hero Initiative. I'm all for that.

Comment

• bleit1701
            Career Member
            • Jan 1, 2009

Bill is local to me. He mentioned a story Fox 2 did about him.

This is the link: http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/322972238-video

Derek is one of the meteorologists for the station.

Here is the print story:

Bill Messner-Loebs once worked for DC Comics and was key to some groundbreaking characters including Wonder Woman and the Pied Piper. Then it all fell apart.
            Better late than never.....

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Some folks are doing a benefit comic for Bill via Indigogo, Bleeding Cool did an article about it and how to support it- https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...messner-loebs/

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎