X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
    Child’s World/Children’s Palace were the best toy stores I’ve ever been in. Loved them!
    I loved Children's Palace. It was an amazing toy store that looked like a little castle. Wowzers, I miss it.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

^ It really was the best. We got ours about a decade prior to Toys R Us. We had an independent toy store and a Kay-Bee prior, but Chidren’s Palace left them in the dust.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
        I loved Children's Palace. It was an amazing toy store that looked like a little castle. Wowzers, I miss it.
        I agree, it was my favorite, too. I only gravitated to TRU after CP closed. I was really fond of KB Toys as well.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I agree, it was my favorite, too. I only gravitated to TRU after CP closed. I was really fond of KB Toys as well.
          Our CP was on its way out by the time Evansville’s TRU opened. Anyhow, I was entering junior high at that time and toys were on the back burner for a decade or longer after. Bad timing for TRU and me.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

Yeah Children’s Palace had wonderful sales.

Micronauts
            Battlestar Galactica
            Star Trek: The Motion Picture
            The Empire Strikes Back
            Return of the Jedi
            Return of the Jedi Speeder Bike Models
            Indiana Jones
            Many good things

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

In Canada all we really have for major toy retailers is Toys R Us and Wal-Mart. I moved to the Okanagan from Alberta last year and am finding the Walmart’s here are pretty bad at restocking. Lots of empty shelves....reminds me of Target Canada.
              Really missed the Sears Wishbook this year, even though the stores barely had toy departments the last decade or so. RIP Sears Canada.
              On the bright side;
              Canadian Tire seems to be stepping up their toy efforts this season, and was impressed that the Bay brought in FAO Schwartz toy departments for Christmas.
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

Child’s World/Children’s Palace were the best toy stores I’ve ever been in. Loved them!
                - Ian
                I was in that young adult phase in life where I wasn't collecting and had no kids yet, but used to love walking into Children's Palace just to see what was out and take in the vibe. When I got married and we bought a house, there was a Children's Palace maybe a mile from us, and I looked forward to being able to take eventual kids there. Then it went out of business within the year

One that I thought was up there with those was called The Toy Chest. It was in St. Louis. I think it was part of a chain, but I’m not certain. It may have been local to the St Louis area. It was huge like Child’s World/Children’s Palace.
                - Ian
                That was the first mega toy store I remember here in St. Louis -- it always seemed like a chain, but there was only one location I knew of. That was the place I remember seeing all the Micronauts and Teen Titans and even the Kenner Alien figures. Used to love going there as a kid... it went out of business when I was in college.

UPDATE:

You got me thinkin' and looking around . . .

Here's a FB discussion on the chain (evidently, my 40 yr old kid memories failed me on that there were multiple locations all over town): https://www.facebook.com/pleasantfam...0251174009904/

A newspaper ad: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/142318466/

An here's their going-out-of-business commercial (around 1:48)
                Last edited by knight errant00; Dec 27, '18, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• comicmike
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 22, 2009

I go to Toronto's Yonge-Eglinton TRU just to see the mechanical T-Rex. I always imagine I'm in the Batcave.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎