X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Sure missing TRU and other toy stores this time of year

Strolling down the toy aisles of Target/Meijer/etc. I get nothing but a feeble assortment of 'action figures'. I know it has been that way for a long time now, but I really miss that period of yesteryear where EVERY PLACE was selling action figures, not just hobby shops, but department stores, hardware stores, at shopping malls, and places like Toys R Us- Children's Palace, etc.

But really hits me the hardest is the recent demise of TRU. Lots of happy memories there. Especially concerning this time of year. Even as an adult, while there wasn't anything that would no longer appeal to me, I loved strolling down the toy aisles and browsing at all the stuff.

I doubt if there will ever be a resurgence of such places..
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I am really missing Toys R Us. The Walmarts here suck. Christmas without TRU is kind of depressing.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• LordMudd
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 22, 2011

Action figures will never go away, and neither will collectors. The problem is the connection between them. That connecting mechanism is changing, evolving, and sometimes change can be painful, slow, and tedious. The old connection is breaking down and a new one needs to form to replace it. The question is what form that new connection will take. Some say it will be the internet. I do not have faith in the internet to accomplish that. Action figures are a tactile toy, and they will require a tactile form of distribution to be successful. Personally, I am looing at technology, specifically a combination of vending machines and 3D printers to eventually fill that void and satisfy the instant gratification society that the marketing and advertising industry has created. I don't want to order it and then wait days or weeks for it to arrive. I want to walk up to it, inspect it to determine for myself that it meets my standards and that I really want it, and immediately walk home with it...GRATIFIED!

CCC.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Toys R Us didn't go down because of poor sales or competition. Toys R Us was taken out by private equity burying them in debt.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I passed my old store last Saturday while Christmas shopping. What a pang of melancholy nostalgia I felt. I bought a lot of Imaginext at TRU.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

I mentioned before that FAO Schwartz did reopen in Manhattan, but in Rockefeller Center. That’s one good thing on the toy store front, though it really doesn’t mean anything unless you live in the NYC area.

Was anymore ever said about Kay-Bee reopening?

By the way, a Manhattan has, at least, 3 independent toy stores. Out of curiosity, do your cities or towns have any independent toy stores?

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

it certainly has been depressing for sure...there is no substitute. I grew up with K-Mart and the likes...but when I had kids we did the TRU thing. Seven isles in a big chain store is not the same, but I guess that's how I grew up and I'm fine. Err, wait...I am 46 and hoarding a doll collection...awe ohhh. lol

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I've been visiting our local TRU a lot more now just because I'm happy we still have one.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I've been visiting our local TRU a lot more now just because I'm happy we still have one.
                  Bob and Doug Mckenzie *and* TRU.

Take off.

Comment

• favoritemonsters
                    • Aug 4, 2018

My grandaughters birthday is today and Grandma and I always took the grandkids to Toys R Us.
                    It's not the same experience for them if we take them to Walmart...

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Aahh, Kiddie City. We'll always have Old Lincoln Highway.

Last edited by Wee67; Dec 21, '18, 5:35 PM.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Child Worlds and Kresges

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                          Child Worlds and Kresges
                          Child’s World/Children’s Palace were the best toy stores I’ve ever been in. Loved them!

One that I thought was up there with those was called The Toy Chest. It was in St. Louis. I think it was part of a chain, but I’m not certain. It may have been local to the St Louis area. It was huge like Child’s World/Children’s Palace.

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

Though not toy stores,I miss Ames and Zayers. Especially around the holidays when both would be open 24 hours back when it wasn't something done all the time.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

I seriously miss Child's World. Man, the clearance sales they had in the late 80's were epic!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎