X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

Favorite Xmas Comic?

What were your favorite Christmas comics? These were mine and my brothers and sisters favorites.

sigpic
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

I like the issue of Parasite punching Superman right into the Christmas tree. 1980's comic.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I love them all, but the best Christmas comic story has to be this one:

Superman answers his mail at Christmas. Touching and uplifting without being sappy.

This story is currently available in the Walmart exclusive "World's Greatest Super-Heroes Holiday Special" 100 page giant.

I'm also fond of every story in these two volumes. The first was classic reprints, the second was all-new stories, including one by Alan Brennert that slyly snuck the real Supergirl back into the DCU.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Oh, I LOVE Christmas comics. I have a big old box of 'em that I haul out every year.

In addition to the ones in those DC collections Chris posted, I really like Bizarre Adventures #34 from Marvel. It blew my mind at an age when counterculture comics could seem so daring and forbidden.

Here are two other favorites.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by glimpy
            What were your favorite Christmas comics? These were mine and my brothers and sisters favorites.
            That was the one I always wanted: I finally bought it last Christmas. It's really great, IMO. I don't recall having many Christmas comics, but I do recall loving the cover art advertised for that specific tabloid inside the 70s DC comics.

The only one I recall was the DC Super Jr's digest from my high school years

Ps,I also *love* this digest cover:
            Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest #22
            Last edited by comicmike; Dec 22, '18, 7:27 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

I remember many of those covers, but none of the content

I do recall loving the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special. great for a laugh and totally over the top, as the character was portrayed in those days

lobo_TTD_.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

If you want some discussion on these comics, check out Super Mates, JLUCast, TreasuryCast and Digest Cast over on the Fire and Water Network (see icon below). We've covered just about all of them!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Wow, that Super Jr.s looks fun! I've never seen it. Are the stories like the cover?

Comment

• comicmike
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                    Wow, that Super Jr.s looks fun! I've never seen it. Are the stories like the cover?
                    A podcast devoted to the classic pocket-sized comics format of the 1970s and 1980s--because good comics come in small packages!

A long time ago, super heroes were a little less serious. Premiering alongside their adult counterparts in DC's style guide by Jose Luis...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Super Jrs. has a long and winding history, much of which was unknown and unpublished until Andy Mangels did an article on them for Back Issue #76 several years back. An early, synchronized marketing push by DC that was supposed to have a tie-in treasury comic which was shelved, due to the format being mostly retired around Christmas of '77 or '78. A Mexican publisher put it out at magazine size in 1980, and an Australian publisher did the same in 1984 (I have a copy of that one). The digest came out that same year, FINALLY from DC, but with no credits. It was written by Tom DeFalco, better known for all his Marvel work, and being their Editor-in-Chief later in the 80s and 90s!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Wow! Well there's another thing I never knew about that I simply must have.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎