X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Hot Toys Aquaman

Is it just me...or is this a weak likeness for Hot Toys? 99.9% of their stuff is phenomenal, but I'm not getting Momoa at all here. Looks more like David Hasselhoff cos-playing as Alan Moore.

Chris
    sigpic
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Agreed, it could just be the angles but the complexion, nose and eyebrows seem off.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Overall, I think they did a good job, as usual. I’m not a big fan of this look for Aquaman.

Hot Toys makes nice figures, for sure. I will say that I had a Luke Skywalker a decade or so ago and found it to be quite fragile. I no longer own it, but recall having to be very gentle with it. They certainly are not made to be played with...even lightly.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

My concern from those pics is his suit will be too restrictive to offer any meaningful poses without stressing the rubber.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Looks like Roman Reigns the wrassler to me.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
            My concern from those pics is his suit will be too restrictive to offer any meaningful poses without stressing the rubber.
            Not only that but the materials they use on those rubbery suits degrades rather quickly over time. I stopped buying any Hot Toys figures. They're simply too expensive and they don't hold up.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

This is a FANTASTIC reminder that no toy company goes from concept to finish product with 100% success, no matter what the price point is. Buy what you like, right? I feel bad for collectors who anticipated this and are disappointed, but it happens even to the mighty Hot Toys (more than the community likes to admit, I think).

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

I was watching a video of a guys collection and i think the company should have been called "Hot Models", they're gorgeous items and I don't begrudge them but they're not toys to me.

Althought "Hot Models" also sounds like a bunch of attractive people, nevermind, I've worked this out on my own.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I enjoy my Hot Toys figures, but there's been very few in the past few years that prompted me to fork over $250. If they ever do Lynda Carter or John Wesley Shipp...well then I'm in.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Yvonne Craig would be my breaking point. I mean if they do a Tura Santanna I'm also snookered but I think i'm safe there.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      ^I enjoy my Hot Toys figures, but there's been very few in the past few years that prompted me to fork over $250. If they ever do Lynda Carter or John Wesley Shipp...well then I'm in.

Chris
                      John Wesley Shipp...hell yeah. But it MUST be flocked!!

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Well, yeah... there's certain characters that would make anyone's list. I'd try to find scratch for any Batman 66 characters (but I think we've gotten all we're gonna get). I'd also do a Nicholas Hammond Spidey. Maybe Elvira. I suppose if they did Creepshow.

But I agree. These are not really 'toyetic'. They're well engineered, articulated, state-of-the art statues.

I can't help but wonder though... Every decade or so, the toy technology improves, rendering the previous king obsolete. What is the best now will be bested later, and the newest, latest version of your favorite character maybe calling you again with an even higher price.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                          Well, yeah... there's certain characters that would make anyone's list. I'd try to find scratch for any Batman 66 characters (but I think we've gotten all we're gonna get). I'd also do a Nicholas Hammond Spidey. Maybe Elvira. I suppose if they did Creepshow.

But I agree. These are not really 'toyetic'. They're well engineered, articulated, state-of-the art statues.

I can't help but wonder though... Every decade or so, the toy technology improves, rendering the previous king obsolete. What is the best now will be bested later, and the newest, latest version of your favorite character maybe calling you again with an even higher price.
                          It's funny, cause the older I get, the less realistic I like my toys. (for the most part) I find I'm revisiting old favorites from Kenner, Mattel, and Galoob. Their simplicity just makes me happy.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I think the Enterbay Bruce Lee figures were the most realistic I’ve seen.

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Hot Toys are not for me--in price, style, or durability.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎