Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain America's star emblem confusion.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jade88
    • Aug 10, 2018

Captain America's star emblem confusion.

I have to say, I'm pretty confused about Captain America's star emblem at this point.

I've heard cloth, velvet, and paper. Cloth is what I appears to see regularly on Ebay when the emblem is original. It doesn't look to be velvet to me, but I don't know.

I just hear a lot of contradicting information on their being a velvet version early on, and paper at the end. Some collectors say paper never happened.

I'd love to get some information from this forum, thanks for reading!
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I want to say cloth but not “smooth” cloth. I can’t say with certainty because I’m going by memory as I haven’t had one for a long time.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• glimpy
      Loco Chango
      • Feb 5, 2012

There were only two different emblems. One before 1978 and the other after. They were both made out of thin cloth the first one looks more dull. And the second one looks a bit shinier. But they were never paper.
      sigpic

Comment

• Jade88
        • Aug 10, 2018

Originally posted by glimpy
        There were only two different emblems. One before 1978 and the other after. They were both made out of thin cloth the first one looks more dull. And the second one looks a bit shinier. But they were never paper.
        Did the type 2 bodies come with both? Type 1 would have only had the dull one right?

On a sort of related note, what years did the unstitched belt versions begin production?

Thank you for the help!

Comment

• glimpy
          Loco Chango
          • Feb 5, 2012

Type 1 and Type 2 used the felt which is the dull emblem up until 1978. Then on the later 1979 issued figures "which are type 2 figures" glossy emblems showed up more often.

As far as the "floating belts" the unstitched vinyl wrap-around belts, those were mostly issued on the 79 variants.
          sigpic

Comment

• Jade88
            • Aug 10, 2018

Originally posted by glimpy
            Type 1 and Type 2 used the felt which is the dull emblem up until 1978. Then on the later 1979 issued figures "which are type 2 figures" glossy emblems showed up more often.

As far as the "floating belts" the unstitched vinyl wrap-around belts, those were mostly issued on the 79 variants.
            Thank you for the great information! It still seems a little tough to identify on an Ebay auction, but seems simple enough in person.

Was the floating belts thing a full on change until the line ended in 81 or was it just a short running variant?

Comment

• glimpy
              Loco Chango
              • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Jade88
              Thank you for the great information! It still seems a little tough to identify on an Ebay auction, but seems simple enough in person.

Was the floating belts thing a full on change until the line ended in 81 or was it just a short running variant?
              I'm not sure. I would assume they were just a short running cheaper less time-consuming way to go. They did the same things to Aquaman. He also wears that floating belt on the 1979 later issued figure. Some say Aquaman with the floating belt were leftovers from the Aquaman and shark set. But then again, who knows if that's true or not.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎