X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

"Late issue figures" 1979

Have you mego heads noticed that most of the 1979 issued figures usually have broken limbs? Why do you think that is? Anybody think they have an answer?

Last edited by glimpy; Dec 20, '18, 11:38 PM.
    sigpic
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

I don't know what the stats are on how many broke versus earlier version, but Hulk was notorious for breaking at all issues.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Absolute speculation, stringing together correlated events with no proof of causality, but...

We know oil/petroleum prices rose dramatically in the late 70's causing the rise of plastic production to rise. Is it possible that Mego began to use a cheaper plastic. If so, they would have most likely continued to use the same methods to build the bodies. Perhaps the newer, cheaper plastic could not handle the pressures placed on the pins when they put in place. Everything is fine at the factory, but add the lesser integrity of the plastic to the temperature changes while shipping and SNAP...

Just a thought.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
        Absolute speculation, stringing together correlated events with no proof of causality, but...

We know oil/petroleum prices rose dramatically in the late 70's causing the rise of plastic production to rise. Is it possible that Mego began to use a cheaper plastic. If so, they would have most likely continued to use the same methods to build the bodies. Perhaps the newer, cheaper plastic could not handle the pressures placed on the pins when they put in place. Everything is fine at the factory, but add the lesser integrity of the plastic to the temperature changes while shipping and SNAP...

Just a thought.
        I would say that's pretty fair and rational. The heads in this period also suffer from migration which has largely been explained as "cheaper plastics" as well.

I also want to say that coloured bodies, particularly light blue (Keeper, Andorian) are awfully prone to knee breaks.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• glimpy
          Loco Chango
          • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Wee67

Just a thought.
          I think I'll go for that answer.
          sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
            Loco Chango
            • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
            I would say that's pretty fair and rational. The heads in this period also suffer from migration which has largely been explained as "cheaper plastics" as well.

I also want to say that coloured bodies, particularly light blue (Keeper, Andorian) are awfully prone to knee breaks.
            That's also very interesting about the colors. I think I'll go for that too
            sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy

The orange body Mugato had the same issues, and that body was specifically for the Mugato figure.

Comment

• josephcardone
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 10, 2010

The funny thing is now it seems that many companies are not using as much oil in plastic (to save money) - and plastic items seem to be more brittle.

I nicknamed "bed bath and beyond" - "bed bath and buy it again" - Everything plastic I purchase seems to last about (6) months - LOL

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                  The orange body Mugato had the same issues, and that body was specifically for the Mugato figure.
                  Yep, that's true. Also most French Pin Pin carded Things and Torches suffer from broken knee pins (and elbow pins with the Thing).

Comment

• comicmike
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by josephcardone
                    ...I nicknamed "bed bath and beyond" - "bed bath and buy it again" - Everything plastic I purchase seems to last about (6) months - LOL
                    That's really funny

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎