Thread: "Late issue figures" 1979

Images
    Blog Entries

MM '08 "Late issue figures" 1979

Have you mego heads noticed that most of the 1979 issued figures usually have broken limbs? Why do you think that is? Anybody think they have an answer?

Last edited by glimpy; Dec 20, '18 at 11:38 PM.

Images
    I don't know what the stats are on how many broke versus earlier version, but Hulk was notorious for breaking at all issues.

Images
    Absolute speculation, stringing together correlated events with no proof of causality, but...

We know oil/petroleum prices rose dramatically in the late 70's causing the rise of plastic production to rise. Is it possible that Mego began to use a cheaper plastic. If so, they would have most likely continued to use the same methods to build the bodies. Perhaps the newer, cheaper plastic could not handle the pressures placed on the pins when they put in place. Everything is fine at the factory, but add the lesser integrity of the plastic to the temperature changes while shipping and SNAP...

Just a thought.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    Absolute speculation, stringing together correlated events with no proof of causality, but...

We know oil/petroleum prices rose dramatically in the late 70's causing the rise of plastic production to rise. Is it possible that Mego began to use a cheaper plastic. If so, they would have most likely continued to use the same methods to build the bodies. Perhaps the newer, cheaper plastic could not handle the pressures placed on the pins when they put in place. Everything is fine at the factory, but add the lesser integrity of the plastic to the temperature changes while shipping and SNAP...

Just a thought.
    I would say that's pretty fair and rational. The heads in this period also suffer from migration which has largely been explained as "cheaper plastics" as well.

I also want to say that coloured bodies, particularly light blue (Keeper, Andorian) are awfully prone to knee breaks.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post

Just a thought.
    I think I'll go for that answer.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I would say that's pretty fair and rational. The heads in this period also suffer from migration which has largely been explained as "cheaper plastics" as well.

I also want to say that coloured bodies, particularly light blue (Keeper, Andorian) are awfully prone to knee breaks.
    That's also very interesting about the colors. I think I'll go for that too

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post

The orange body Mugato had the same issues, and that body was specifically for the Mugato figure.

Images
    The funny thing is now it seems that many companies are not using as much oil in plastic (to save money) - and plastic items seem to be more brittle.

I nicknamed "bed bath and beyond" - "bed bath and buy it again" - Everything plastic I purchase seems to last about (6) months - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tjacwave50 View Post
    The orange body Mugato had the same issues, and that body was specifically for the Mugato figure.
    Yep, that's true. Also most French Pin Pin carded Things and Torches suffer from broken knee pins (and elbow pins with the Thing).

Quote Originally Posted by josephcardone View Post
    ...I nicknamed "bed bath and beyond" - "bed bath and buy it again" - Everything plastic I purchase seems to last about (6) months - LOL
    That's really funny