Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: "Late issue figures" 1979

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2012
    Location
    CLANCY ST
    Posts
    513
    Images
    3
    Blog Entries
    1

    MM '08 "Late issue figures" 1979

    Have you mego heads noticed that most of the 1979 issued figures usually have broken limbs? Why do you think that is? Anybody think they have an answer?

    Last edited by glimpy; Dec 20, '18 at 11:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 29, 2005
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    3,834
    Images
    4
    I don't know what the stats are on how many broke versus earlier version, but Hulk was notorious for breaking at all issues.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2, 2002
    Location
    down in the paneled rec room
    Posts
    9,035
    Images
    20
    Absolute speculation, stringing together correlated events with no proof of causality, but...

    We know oil/petroleum prices rose dramatically in the late 70's causing the rise of plastic production to rise. Is it possible that Mego began to use a cheaper plastic. If so, they would have most likely continued to use the same methods to build the bodies. Perhaps the newer, cheaper plastic could not handle the pressures placed on the pins when they put in place. Everything is fine at the factory, but add the lesser integrity of the plastic to the temperature changes while shipping and SNAP...

    Just a thought.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 15, 2001
    Location
    My Pants
    Posts
    54,554
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    Absolute speculation, stringing together correlated events with no proof of causality, but...

    We know oil/petroleum prices rose dramatically in the late 70's causing the rise of plastic production to rise. Is it possible that Mego began to use a cheaper plastic. If so, they would have most likely continued to use the same methods to build the bodies. Perhaps the newer, cheaper plastic could not handle the pressures placed on the pins when they put in place. Everything is fine at the factory, but add the lesser integrity of the plastic to the temperature changes while shipping and SNAP...

    Just a thought.
    I would say that's pretty fair and rational. The heads in this period also suffer from migration which has largely been explained as "cheaper plastics" as well.

    I also want to say that coloured bodies, particularly light blue (Keeper, Andorian) are awfully prone to knee breaks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2012
    Location
    CLANCY ST
    Posts
    513
    Images
    3
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    Absolute speculation, stringing together correlated events with no proof of causality, but...

    We know oil/petroleum prices rose dramatically in the late 70's causing the rise of plastic production to rise. Is it possible that Mego began to use a cheaper plastic. If so, they would have most likely continued to use the same methods to build the bodies. Perhaps the newer, cheaper plastic could not handle the pressures placed on the pins when they put in place. Everything is fine at the factory, but add the lesser integrity of the plastic to the temperature changes while shipping and SNAP...

    Just a thought.
    I think I'll go for that answer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2012
    Location
    CLANCY ST
    Posts
    513
    Images
    3
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I would say that's pretty fair and rational. The heads in this period also suffer from migration which has largely been explained as "cheaper plastics" as well.

    I also want to say that coloured bodies, particularly light blue (Keeper, Andorian) are awfully prone to knee breaks.
    That's also very interesting about the colors. I think I'll go for that too

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 20, 2011
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    5,169
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I would say that's pretty fair and rational. The heads in this period also suffer from migration which has largely been explained as "cheaper plastics" as well.

    I also want to say that coloured bodies, particularly light blue (Keeper, Andorian) are awfully prone to knee breaks.

    The orange body Mugato had the same issues, and that body was specifically for the Mugato figure.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 10, 2010
    Location
    Williston Park, New York
    Posts
    986
    Images
    2
    The funny thing is now it seems that many companies are not using as much oil in plastic (to save money) - and plastic items seem to be more brittle.

    I nicknamed "bed bath and beyond" - "bed bath and buy it again" - Everything plastic I purchase seems to last about (6) months - LOL

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location
    Ridgeway, Ontario
    Posts
    9,723
    Quote Originally Posted by tjacwave50 View Post
    The orange body Mugato had the same issues, and that body was specifically for the Mugato figure.
    Yep, that's true. Also most French Pin Pin carded Things and Torches suffer from broken knee pins (and elbow pins with the Thing).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 22, 2009
    Location
    TORONTO
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by josephcardone View Post
    ...I nicknamed "bed bath and beyond" - "bed bath and buy it again" - Everything plastic I purchase seems to last about (6) months - LOL
    That's really funny

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •