X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    As much as I love Wonder Woman, that last act pulls it down. Aquaman sticks the landing, and is therefore a better film throughout, although I would argue the best parts of Wonder Woman are greater than Aquaman overall.

Chris
    While reading your comment I literally was reaching for a non-existent "Like" button.

Spot-on IMHO.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Orion1
      Easily the Best DC movie since the Dark Knight, awesome job by James Wan in creating the cinematic version of the Under Sea Kingdom of Atlantis.

I have to say Aquaman is my favorite DC movie second only to the Christopher Reeve Superman.
      What Reeve Superman lacks in plot tightness, it makes up for in colorful charismatic performances within shiny plot points.... yes, shinier than even the over-the-top Aquaman whose plot is disciplined (and, kinda flat) enough to have me not even noticing the "its too over the top" visual aspects and story aspects some detracting reviewers seem to be deriding Aquaman for.

But I agree with your sentiment's overall satisfaction with Aquaman in comparison to other superhero movies.

Gadot.... Keaton... Bale.... all have their moments in their origin movies that ultimately spawned sequels... heck, if you want to count TDK as a "Joker" origin-esque story... I think Ledger comes in second over Reeve in this competition (which makes it moreso a shame that death prevented a second Ledger as Joker appearance).

But, yeah, Aquaman 2018 trumps everything I wanted Batman '89, Batman Begins, Wonder Woman '17 to be.
      Last edited by huedell; Dec 31, '18, 11:43 AM.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

As it approaches the billion mark world wide I think it's safe to now assume this is a big hit for DC.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

Finally saw this yesterday. Pretty amazing film all around. I loved the way they added the sonar bubbles when he communicated with sea life. In my brain I was doing my own super friend sound effect...boopboopboopboopboopboop
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
            As it approaches the billion mark world wide I think it's safe to now assume this is a big hit for DC.
            Awesome. Glad to see people supporting this. I'd love to see the 3D revenues make the suits consider upping support for the format, because the conversion was spectacular.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

I think word of mouth is helping with this one

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

If this isn't he final nail in the coffin of the dour Snyder-approach to comic book movies, I don't know what is. The fact that Aquaman (and to a lesser extent, Wonder Woman) eschewed his aesthetic and fully embraced the comic book trappings of their source material, and has been financially more successful ought to be enough to get the suits at WB to realize THIS is the approach most people want. The real world is right outside our door. We go to these movies for escapism. Seems pretty simple to me.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

^This!!!

I finally got see it this weekend at a Saturday Matinee and had a blast. That's what I like to say about movies, especially Superhero Movies..... "It was fun!". So many easter eggs, too. Lovecraftian elements and references in a fun movie? Loved it!

The thing I liked most about my experience was listening to kids laugh and say "Whooaaaa" throughout the whole movie. I even heard kids let out a collective "yuck!" at the kissing scene. Hahahahaha

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    If this isn't he final nail in the coffin of the dour Snyder-approach to comic book movies, I don't know what is. The fact that Aquaman (and to a lesser extent, Wonder Woman) eschewed his aesthetic and fully embraced the comic book trappings of their source material, and has been financially more successful ought to be enough to get the suits at WB to realize THIS is the approach most people want. The real world is right outside our door. We go to these movies for escapism. Seems pretty simple to me.
                    Chris
                    I think/hope you're right about this. The success of the Nolan Batman films led the execs to think superhero movies had to be dark and super serious. Those films were great, but that's also a reflection of Batman and Nolan's amazing stories. These stories are being handled with a proper tone. I think this will only be reinforced if the upcoming Shazam film is as good as the trailer and continues this success.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

So, I went to my comics shop today to pick up my books (Aquaman and Daredevil), I go about twice a year lol. For years, the owner's son has been nicely razzing me about liking the Sea King, saying he has the same "powers" as Spongebob Squarepants. It was cute the first time...

Today I caught him at the register. I said archly, "How about that Spongebob movie last Christmas, highest-grossing DC film of all time?" Revenge is sweet.

He took it well and said he loved the film, especially the traditional costume reveal in the grotto, which he did not expect.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

I just rented Aquaman, saw it for the first time. It was good, fun...but not great. I still preferred Wonder Woman.

Mild spoilers...

While the underwater scenes were amazingly rendered, the action felt at times too busy and muddled. Sometimes I couldn’t tell who was fighting who. The whole thing about Atlanteans invading the surface because of some old submarine controlled by Black Manta is all it would take? I know, I know, Ocean Master.

Also, Arthur was not so heroic at times. He left Black Manta’s Father stuck under the debris to drown and die? Sure, he was a killer, but a superhero still is suppose to do the superhero thing, you know.

Mera, oh my, what a beauty!

Momoa was good. But at times, I thought his brother should’ve been Aquaman, lol.

Black Manta was a good villain, want to see more of him in the future.

Watching the possible invasion...I kept telling myself, no problem, Superman got this, lol.

Good movie, just not great in my humble opinion.

Huge DC guy here, but still not on the level of something like Guardians of the Galaxy.
                        Last edited by Hector; Mar 28, '19, 5:24 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I think you prefer WW on a hormonal level, 'fess up.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I think you prefer WW on a hormonal level, 'fess up.
                            You think I’m that shallow? How dare you, Sir!

sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

Home is calling

I guess my house now has a name: Atlantis!!! Late last night I got a call from my contact at Walmart to show up in the van with the seats down. They already took down the Aquaman dvd display and it is now in my house.

DVD FRONT.jpgDVD BACK.jpg

Yes I loved Aquaman, I thought it was better than the other male titled DC movies. Were there problems with it, yeah but overall I loved it.

(I have no idea why my pic went sidways, sorry)
                              Last edited by monitor_ep; Mar 28, '19, 8:07 PM.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

That’s pretty cool!!!!!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰