X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    ... it's a fun, full-on comic book adaptation. An unabashed Aquaman movie that just embraces the honestly ludicrious trappings of the character we all love, and makes them work on the screen. Momoa's character grows and changes throughout, Mera is a strong, likeable hero of his equal, and the action and visuals are jaw-droppingly awesome. The whole family really enjoyed it.

... Go see it!!!

Chris
    Change the signature on this post to Brue

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
      It's so weird to have watched the show Entourage almost 15 years ago, where the narrative chronicles an actor's break out role in "James Cameron's Aquaman" movie.

Anyone else thinking about that as you view this?
      I never watched the show. That is a fun plot device.

Is the show any good? If so, I'll give it a try.

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
        Oh my gosh, this movie blew me away. It's an epic, has heart and seemed devoid of the mire that's made Superman so hard to like.
        Yep
        When Aquaman jumps on that seahorse, it looked cool,
        I have brainwashed my family with classic superhero cartoons - so when he jumped on the seahorse we all immediately turned to each other to show our approval!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brue
          I have brainwashed my family with classic superhero cartoons - so when he jumped on the seahorse we all immediately turned to each other to show our approval!
          yeah we share that.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Brue
            I never watched the show. That is a fun plot device.

Is the show any good? If so, I'll give it a try.
            Entourage was a fun show, yes! Mind you, it ushered in the modern age of binge worthy episodic television when there wasn't as much competition, but it was a very charming bromance kind of show. They reference the character cast as Aquaman, but you never do get to see him in a costume, or any footage.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

I couldn't help but think about Entourage while watching Aquaman- we've come so far that what was once a joke is now a serious superhero film.

That said... I think I'm the only one here not blown away by this movie. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. It was MUCH better than Bats V Supes or JL, but that bar wasn't that high. I loved the fight scenes and the final creature was really cool. And yeah, AM jumping on the seahorse was a blast. The general story was well done and I thought Patrick Wilson did a nice job convincing me Orm was this insecure meglomaniac who needed to rule to vindicate not being first born. As much as Black Manta is my favorite character from the AM world, his plot line felt forced. And the actor who played him chewed up the scenery.

Bottom Line- I'd give it a good, solid B.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                valar morghulis
                • Mar 8, 2005

Naturally the Half in the Bag guys were somewhat less than impressed..

"I think this movie will play very well with 13 year-old boys and mentally deficient adults."

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Stoklassa hated most of the marvel movies too including Civil War. Also, both of them seem to think the character is a joke, so I disagree with them on this one.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Oh my gosh, this movie blew me away. It's an epic, has heart and seemed devoid of the mire that's made Superman so hard to like. I loved this and my whole family wants to go again.

When Aquaman jumps on that seahorse, it looked cool, i deemed that impossible.

Oh and the guy who played Black Manta's dad? He voiced Devil Ray on JLU. Neat!
                    I am so happy that the consensus around here is better than RT's, YT, etc.

I've been feeling more edgy this year than usual, and took a break from posting so as not to bring my simmering "Net-toxicity" here at the MM.

If I saw too many negatives & not enough positives in the AQUAMAN movie thread here, it woulda drove me NUTS, and I woulda had a hard time not getting preachy with responses.

A major criticism I've seen outside here is my least favorite traditional valid bullet-point film criticism, and that is "tone disparity".

Well? I don't think a tone disparity for an uber-fantasy movie where anything can happen is that good of a reason to slam AQUAMAN... which, could be, quite simply, my favorite superhero movie of all-time.

Subjectively to be VERY SURE.

But almost coming to tears while simply seeing that typically obligatory "Weeeeeee, look at me enjoying my new super-hero-powers!!!!" scene made me want to defend this purely off of EMOTION.

So---sue me.

"No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• megomania
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jan 2, 2010

Wow. Saw AM last night....not only was it the worst Superhero movie I've ever seen, it might be one of the worst movies I've seen period. I've walked out of one movie in my life....Dragnet....would have walked out on this one except we were with family. Even my 8 yo son - who is all-in on everything Superhero - was bored. The dude sitting in front of me walked out 1/2 way through. SFX and CGI were like 5 levels below Marvel.

Just terrible.

-Chris

And wow looks like I'm in the total minority
                      Last edited by megomania; Dec 27, '18, 3:12 PM.

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by megomania
                        Wow. Saw AM last night....not only was it the worst Superhero movie I've ever seen, it might be one of the worst movies I've seen period.

You ruined my day!!!!!!

No time on these superhero criticism threads has "Different strokes for different folks" felt more appropriate
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• megomania
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by huedell
                          You ruined my day!!!!!!

No time on these superhero criticism threads has "Different strokes for different folks" felt more appropriate
                          Lol! Very True!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

just got back and I loved it. it revels in the absurdity of what it is and does it well. I don't get the criticisms about the CGI either, I thought the CGI was very good. overall, a very fun movie with lots of really cool visuals. I loved the nod to the Superfriends with the circles coming out in waves when he calls to the sea creatures

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Wow. Saw AM last night....not only was it the worst Superhero movie I've ever seen, it might be one of the worst movies I've seen period. I've walked out of one movie in my life....Dragnet....would have walked out on this one except we were with family. Even my 8 yo son - who is all-in on everything Superhero - was bored. The dude sitting in front of me walked out 1/2 way through. SFX and CGI were like 5 levels below Marvel.

Just terrible.

-Chris

Hey man, no problem.

You are free to dislike whatever you want, and like whatever you want, and you certainly don't need me or anyone else to remind you of that. I totally get it. Sometimes a film just doesn't click with you. Different strokes and all that.

At least you gave it a chance.

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, that's like me and "The Matrix".

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎