X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Where Did Buy Your Comics in the 1970s?

I remember getting most of mine at the circular comic rack at Jupiter Drug Store on Jupiter Rd in Dallas, TX. 30 miles from home haha. I was a redeemable coke bottle fiend. I was spending at least an hour a day digging thru fields and ditches and looking behind the convenience store for coke bottles and such for the Saturday trip to Jupiter Drug. I also found a flea market where there was a sketchy guy selling boxes of them with the titles cut off of the covers. I didn't find out til later that these had been returned as unsold and were supposed to have been destroyed.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Mostly Foster's Drug in Toluca, later changed its name to Tyner Drugs. Also a newsstand in Streator, 711 in Forest Park a walk away from my Grandma's
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

Most of mine came from the local 7-11 store or a small bookstore called Zimmerman's Books. The cool thing about getting comics from a 7-11 was also coming away with a superhero slurpee cup in the process!

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

I was an opportunist comic buyer...we lived out in the styx, so wherever I happened to find a spinner rack when we went to town, be it gas station, grocery store, or dime store.

I remember buying comics at Convenient food mart and Ben Franklin in nearby Jefferson. When we went to Ashtabula it was Krogers or Woolworths.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
          I remember getting most of mine at the circular comic rack at Jupiter Drug Store on Jupiter Rd in Dallas, TX. 30 miles from home haha. I was a redeemable coke bottle fiend. I was spending at least an hour a day digging thru fields and ditches and looking behind the convenience store for coke bottles and such for the Saturday trip to Jupiter Drug. I also found a flea market where there was a sketchy guy selling boxes of them with the titles cut off of the covers. I didn't find out til later that these had been returned as unsold and were supposed to have been destroyed.
          the local barber got all the half cover ones for reading material in the barber shop.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Mostly from Eastside Pharmacy, on my block, just a bit up the street from my house. I was such a regular customer, when I turned 10 or so, they started letting me go through the comics and count them when they came in every week. I got to have first pick! I later worked there in high school. It's still there. The comics aren't.
            sigpic

Comment

• toothaction
              Career Member
              • Jul 15, 2017

The spinner rack at Katie's party store had a better selection, but R&J pharmacy's news rack did the trick when I didn't want to bike as far.
              >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Usually the local convenience store. Sometimes the pharmacy or Ben Franklin's if we went into The City.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Mom and Pop candy/convenience store called "The Village Shoppe" and supermarkets.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 29, 2007

Once a week, mom and dad made a grocery trip into town to the Krogers in downtown Richmond, KY. My brothers and I waited in the 1974 Chevy Chevelle while they went inside, maybe an hour or so. I remember they left the car running in the winters so we wouldn't freeze and the windows down in the summer because it was sweltering on the blacktop outside. They'd be visited by social workers today and probably be fined, but those were different times and we survived. They brought comics for the three of us each trip out. My brothers would read theirs and give them to me when they were finished. A few years of that and I began to amass a collection. It was always a mixed lot... Could be Marvel Team-Ups; could be Sad Sack and Little Lotta; could be Weird War Tales... I have an eclectic collection.

We used to look for returnable bottles up and down our road too. We'd walk them down to our little local country mart. Not much in the way of comic books there. But we did get a lot of bubble gum cards and Popsicles.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

I lived in the sticks (hell, I still live there ) but luckily we had a couple local pharmacies that had well stocked spinner racks. One of those stores is still there, but the comics are long gone. But I didn't manage to find a spinner rack just like the one they used to have.

The talk of returnable bottles reminds me that whenever we went camping, my sister and I would scour all the campsites early the next morning and collect tons of cans and bottles (lots of beer ones!). We did pretty well and ended up with a lot of vacation spending money, good memories!
                      Last edited by cjefferys; Dec 16, '18, 3:36 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

variety stores, mostly at the bottom of the magazine displays. Very few shops I went to had the spinner rack.

Oddly enough, in the late 80s I was in charge of one of the displays I bought comics from as a kid.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LordMudd
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 22, 2011

I bought very few comics in the 70's. In 1981 I got my 3rd job as a shuttle driver. A coworker took me downtown Houston to his favorite comic shop, on Clay facing the cathedral. I don't remember the name and by the time I got out of the army in 87 it was a parking lot. I built most of my X-men collection from that store.

CCC.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I remember getting them in drug stores, grocery stores and at discount stores. Once in a while, I’d get them, from of all places, the hospital gift shop. When I was getting toward teenage years, I recall purchasing a few of them in bookstores, mainly at the mall.

I never had an opportunity to go comic book shop until I was in college.

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

The squeaky spinner racks at the local convenient store, I also remember the barber shop I went to with my Dad they had Tarzan and Archie comics. Now ask me what I did yesterday and I'll need some time to remember.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎