X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures 1: The Shadow Crime Fighter Detection Belt

New video series from PlaidStallions.com, each episode will showcase a unique and interesting toy from our archive.

This week it's the 1977 Shadow Crime Fighter Detection Belt from Madison Industries. A curious bit of merchandise for a character that kids weren't probably all that aware of at the time. Still glad it exists though.

Look for a new Toy Venture in the coming weeks, I would value your feedback.

You can see more Shadow Merchandise like at the PlaidStallions Gallery of Shadow Toys:

Visit us online at
    Plaid Stallions is dedicated to the 1970's, using department store catalogs like Sears, JC Penney as well as toy industry magazines, rack toys, polyester fashion mockery, shag carpeting and toy love are the orders of the day

Twitter: @plaidstallions

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Every time I see this, it's sweet, sweet torture. I'm green with envy, but I really enjoyed the video.

And I'll bet your friend Matt, like me, has hoped FTC would do a silver Batmobile .
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 15, '18, 1:55 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

I love the idea for this series, and this is a great toy to highlight. There were Shadow comics in the 1970s, but I guess this was an odd mix of nostalgia and a cheaper license.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! Thanks for taking it out of the box for a closer look. My Dad was a huge Shadow fan as a kid, so by the late 70s/early 80s when he got some old-time radio tapes of the show, I knew the character, but beyond that, I wouldn't have had a clue. I'm not sure I would have put the visual of him with the audio, either.

I'm very excited to see more of this!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

The Shadow was on my radar in the 70s thanks to my mom loving the old radio show and it rerunning locally late nights. Used to hear it and lights out a lot in car trips. Was reading a lot of reprinted pulps of the Shadow, Doc Savage and the Avenger back then too.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Godzilla
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 3, 2002

Really cool new series!
            Mortui Vivos Docent
            The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

I’ve always found all of these “utility” belt sets fascinating. Tons of play value! I owned the Batman and a Spider-Man belts, but never knew of this one. Even if I had, I would not have been at all familiar with the character.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Despite not knowing who this is, I still probably would have been fascinated with this toy as a kid. Not knowing a character wasn't a big problem for me.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Despite not knowing who this is, I still probably would have been fascinated with this toy as a kid. Not knowing a character wasn't a big problem for me.
                  Well, I may have also still wanted it due to what it is and what comes with it. There is a lot going on there for a little boy to have hours of fun with.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎