Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about Mego selling heads, outfits, and other accessories?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

What do you think about Mego selling heads, outfits, and other accessories?

Similar to the way FTC and Doc Mego do?

I, for one, would love to see that. Being able to complete vintage Mego figures with official Mego outfits and accessories, or even being able to customize with official Mego parts, would be awesome. I'd imagine it'd also be a nice supplement for to Mego's revenue?

What do you guys think? Would you like this, and is there any chance we see it happening in the future?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I would love it. I suspect that Dr. Mego might become the platform for releasing such items. We've already seen revised heads and additional clothing from that venue.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

^ I tend to agree with that as I can’t see Mego Corp selling mail order parts and clothing for former and current figures.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
        ^ I tend to agree with that as I can’t see Mego Corp selling mail order parts and clothing for former and current figures.

- Ian
        Why not, exactly? Mail order, or internet sales if we want to use a more modern term, seems to be working pretty well at the moment. Or do you think that Mego couldn't do enough business to justify such a decision?

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Just don't see Target doing something like this. Maybe after the exclusive deal is up.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

If something like this is to happen, I'm guessing it would go through Doc's website, with the exception of maybe the
            different Action Jackson outfits.

I could see different A.J. outfits being sold seperatly at Target stores, like it was back in the day,
            maybe Charlies Angels too.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by tjacwave50
              If something like this is to happen, I'm guessing it would go through Doc's website, with the exception of maybe the
              different Action Jackson outfits.

I could see different A.J. outfits being sold seperatly at Target stores, like it was back in the day,
              maybe Charlies Angels too.
              with those two properties warming pegs I doubt there will be anything more for either.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Mego would have to become it's own distributor in order for that to happen, which means they would likely have to go into the specialty market as well.

Comment

• Avenging Robot
                  • Jun 1, 2012

I think basically for the whole operation it revolves around the question of whether it is well suited for the Star Trek and Monster series. Also, as a business, would I really want to sell just a head or an outfit when I have an alternate opportunity to sell a brand new figure instead?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

At 15 a figure...assuming it stays priced at that level and that's a deucedly big assumption...no I don't think they would be parting them out.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

I can't think of another mass market company that offers parts in conjunction to their toys. Mattel doesn't offer Barbie parts, Hasbro doesn't offer Star Wars parts, and Mego won't offer Mego parts.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                        Career Member
                        • Nov 22, 2011

That would be great but, I believe it would hurt the sales of the complete figures. I know I would buy the cloths and accessories for my classic Megos and fore go the complete figure with the exception of figs with new sculpts.
                        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

Mattel and Hasbro are not having us order the Joker's jacket ,or a correct size Batman
                          head . These are nice fixes but not for parents, and kids that might buy these as Christmas
                          gifts.My family would return these and buy Marvel legends, before they would email some guy on line that is outside the Target purchase

Comment

• Liu Bei
                            Banned
                            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by MIB41
                            Mego would have to become it's own distributor in order for that to happen, which means they would likely have to go into the specialty market as well.
                            Sorry, I should have been more clear. I did not mean sell them at retail. When I referenced the Doc Mego / FTC model of business, it was not only in terms of the product, but in terms of how its sold. Online. I certainly don't think selling heads or loose outfits at retail brick and mortars would work, not by any stretch of the imagination.

What I meant was should Mego sell costumes and heads online, the same as FTC or Doc Mego (and others) have done, and still do?

With the amount of customizing being done in the Mego community, I honestly don't see how offering Trek uniforms, boots, and accessories would not be a good idea.

As I mentioned earlier, not only would it be useful for customizing, but it would also help loose collectors have a "complete" figure.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                              Banned
                              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
                              That would be great but, I believe it would hurt the sales of the complete figures. I know I would buy the cloths and accessories for my classic Megos and fore go the complete figure with the exception of figs with new sculpts.
                              I thought about that, but I'm not sure I agree. I think the newer figures would appeal to long-time collectors just the same. I don't think the only people buying the new Trek figures are ones who never had the originals. I have a near complete collection of both the vintage and EMCE re-releases, and have still bought the new figures as well.

Now the other argument is that it may hurt sales for peg warmers, which are bought for the sole purpose of customizing. Ideally, Mego will adapt to the market and stop putting that many peg-warmers on the market in the future. Additionally, I also counter that it would be cheaper on Mego's end to forgo the money it takes to ship those peg-warmers out to retail in the first place, but instead offer the parts out piecemeal online at a rate that would return the same or even slightly more revenue in the end.

Take FTC, for example. To buy a complete figure would be about the same, if not cheaper, as putting one together piecemeal. There are just as many, if not more, collectors who will NOT buy a complete figure just for a pair of gloves or cape as those who will.

As for Barbie, there are outfits and accessories sold online and in stores for Barbie. I'm not sure who made that argument, but it's not one I agree with. Additionally, let's assume the statement is true. Hasbro and Mattel don't offer accessories for their figures. Is that actually a good argument not to do it? It seems to me that the recipe for success is to offer something your competitors don't, not to decide that you should be just like them in every way.

Accessory packs were a common feature for toys for many years, from G.I. Joe to Barbie to Action Jackson. For serious collectors and customizers, I think the market is there. It's just that no major retailer has yet taken advantage of it. I'd love to see someone make a go at it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎