Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I like Empre Strikes Back so much...

Yeah, this film hits all the right notes in every way, the story, directing, art direction, special effects, music, everything! The closest we have to a perfect SW film.

The first Star Wars was a great movie. I was 8 when I saw it and fell in love immediately. But it was just a movie so to speak (toys and comics notwithstanding). As huge as it was, it was just one movie, just a single story. Sequels were a rarity in those days. Empire took Star Wars to another level. It made it something more than just another movie, more even than just a great movie. It made it something full of possibilities. It was no longer just one great story, it was a universe of possible stories (and yes things like the Marvel comics and Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster were out there, but Empire made that possibility a reality). We take sequels and franchises for granted these days. They have become de rigeur. That was not the case when Empire hit. And Empire itself was phenomenal. Majestic landscapes from Hoth to Dagobah to the asteroid cave to Bespin that just blew me away. The whole is he or isn't he moment of "Luke I am your father" drove everyone I knew crazy and occupied discussions form schoolyards to parks to backyards from the moment you walked out of the theatre. The unresolved fate of Han Solo and the romance with Princess Leia, etc. All of it promised more to come as a surety, something the original Star Wars movie didn't. As great as Empire was, you knew now there would be more Star Wars to come. That was something new for this kid. It took Star wars form being this great movie I loved to this thing I loved that was going to be with me for some time to come.

-M

Empire is the superior film, no disagreement there...but it lacked the magical impact it had on me as a young teen as Star Wars did, that will never change...Star Wars is the film that changed and influenced most people of my generation.

Images
    Yeah, the original 1977 Star Wars will always be my favourite SW movie. It's my favourite movie of all time, in fact.
    It had a phenomenal, life changing impact on me when I first saw it at 7 years old.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for one CAH Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
    It changes everything and takes the story in a direction it must go, not necessarily the direction you want it to go ( much like The Last Jedi, haters).
    Ha. That's like comparing a high school team to the New England Patriots because they both have quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungOnce View Post
    Ha. That's like comparing a high school team to the New England Patriots because they both have quarterbacks.
    Have to agree. There is simply no defending The Last Jedi. It is a terribly written film that fails to understand the characters at all, and spits in the face of the established laws of the Star Wars universe. The "Holdo Maneuver" as it's now referred to completely undermines the events of the entire previous six films. Why did the rebels need to steal the Death Star plans to find a weakness? All they had to do was autopilot a small freighter at light speed right through it. No more Death Star. It makes every one of the previous films plots and battles utterly pointless.

Why send a team of rebels down to Endor to deactivate the shield generator? One Mon Calamari cruiser at light speed right through the second Death Star and bye bye Emperor and Empire.

Just because something has the Star Wars name slapped on it doesn't make it good.

Images
    Empire is definitely the superior film. Everything SW did Empire did better. Acting, effects, sets, directing, etc. But I still like SW better. It's a complete hero's journey from beginning to end. Empire needs SW to exist. But SW can exist all on it's own. Empire is also the start of the retconning of the story like changing Leia to Luke's sister and turning Anakin to Darth Vader.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Agreed to all but for me Star Wars 1977 is the best film because it's a perfect stand-alone story and the characters are at their best all together. They could have stopped right there (and sometimes I wish they could have, especially after the prequels came--I'd sacrifice ESB if it meant no prequels).

But I have to add that one of the best parts about Empire is the old school Hollywood romance between Ford and Fisher. It rivals Hepburn and Tracy for chemistry, humor and romance.

Images
    Empire was a fantastic film (and I absolutely love every second), but Star Wars changed my life.
    Before that, my interests had no clear focus. After that first viewing of SW, I knew that Science Fiction was my greatest love. It was a game-changer.
    It has influenced my life ever since.
    It's like the invention of the wheel. Sure, after thousands of years someone built a Ferrari, but that very first wheel, wow!
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

For years I wished for more Star Wars movies after Jedi. Now I kind of wish they stopped with the original 3. Nothing that has been released since even comes close to the first trilogy in terms of character, story, or tone.
    Empire will likely always be my favorite as well.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.