X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
    Oh, and I’m a sucker for the Christmas episode of almost any classic sitcom. I might not even like the series that much, but if they had a Christmas episode...
    They're always bad knockoffs of a "Christmas Carol". My favourite is on Sanford and Son, the ghost of Christmas future is Lamont in a space suit.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

I didn't get to see it for years and years, but I'm fond of Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol as well.

Chris
      Here's another vote for Magoo. It works because he's a perfect character for that story. It doesn't feel shoehorned.

Year Without Santa Claus always ranks on top. I'm sure I'm forgetting some one-off show.

You know what became the most hackneyed Christmas ep? The "Character X has to spend Christmas alone, until friends invite him in". How many shows did that one? Happy Days is probably the most famous, but I could swear WKRP and MASH did it, along with Alice, Barney Miller, Benson, Newhart etc...

Here's a list of insanity

...and another. I think everyone needs to pick a section of this list and watch it. Do it...for the Museum.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Happy Days did it best. That episode still works on all levels.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

All things Rankin & Bass… binged AMC's marathon this past weekend; so many fun riffs on the holidays!

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

^It's the "peanut butter samich by the fire"...melodrama at its purest.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

"A Cosmic Christmas" remains a memorable one for me.
              Also the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stop-motion animated special.
              And "The Christmas Raccoons" cartoon.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

That's very true, it's charming. I love the Jule Styne music in it.

[QUOTE=hedrap;1392024]Here's another vote for Magoo. It works because he's a perfect character for that story. It doesn't feel shoehorned.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Rudolph, Charlie Brown and Emmett Otter are the top three, i think. Of course, there are others that I love. One that isn't mentioned often that I really liked is Mickey's A Christmas Carol.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, Emmett Otter--I haven't seen that in years. That was must-see viewing when we had HBO. I'm a sucker for most anything Muppety.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is the one stop-motion special that I remember most.

I like the Doctor Who Christmas Specials.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        Oh, Emmett Otter--I haven't seen that in years. That was must-see viewing when we had HBO. I'm a sucker for most anything Muppety.
                        It’s really well done.

I have a DVD that includes outtakes, which are very funny.

- Ian

Comment

• YoungOnce
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 29, 2007

Must sees: Charlie Brown, Rudolph, Grinch animated, Frosty...

Like the other Rankin-Bass too, even the 2D ''twas the Night Before Christmas"

One of my favorite tv series Christmas episodes is the Andy Griffith Show with Ben Weaver being very Scrooge-like but he comes around by the end.

Movies: gotta watch Its A Wonderful Life, Ernest Saves Christmas, and believe it or not, I always get in the mood to watch Home Alone again... What can I say, it makes me feel Christmas-y.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Don't forget Henry Winkler as Scrooge.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

That's playing in theaters through Fathom soon:

Elevate your entertainment calendar by viewing our upcoming events. Discover a world of exciting experiences, from movie premieres to exclusive screenings

Like the other Rankin-Bass too, even the 2D ''twas the Night Before Christmas"
                              That's another favorite. I get "Even a Miracle Needs a Hand" stuck in my head every time.

One of my favorite tv series Christmas episodes is the Andy Griffith Show with Ben Weaver being very Scrooge-like but he comes around by the end.
                              YES! What a great episode. I must watch every year, along with Happy Days. Speaking of which...

Don't forget Henry Winkler as Scrooge.
                              Wow, I haven't seen that one in YEARS. Need to add that to the mix this year. My family really loved it.

Speaking of Scrooges, I have to watch Alastair Sim (the best version), and Albert Finney's musical version every year. If I can add in George C. Scott, I will as well. All great adaptations.

We put up our real tree, which we cut ourselves, while watching A Christmas Story, Elf and/or Christmas Vacation. I have to watch each of those at some point during the season. And White Christmas, of course!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                                Museum Paramedic
                                • Aug 31, 2005

^ Might be interesting to see Emmet Otter and Fraggle Rock Christmas on the big screen. Looks like it’s coming up nation wide, for a day or two, in about 6 days. I’ll have to look again, but I think they’re showing on a Monday. That’s the only drawback for me.

- Ian

PS. I often watch Adam-12. It airs on Cozi. Surprisingly, over seven seasons, they had three Christmas episodes. I mention it, because it seems unusual for a series to have multiple Christmas episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎