Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Favorite Holiday specials?

Here's some of mine.

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
    A Garfield Christmas
    He-Man and She-Ra a Christmas special "I am not nice, I am not kind and I am not wonderful."

And of the newer ones I really like the two Prep and Landing specials.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The ones I can never pass up:

*A Charlie Brown Christmas

*How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original animated special)

*The Year Without a Santa Claus

Hon. Mention: Santa Claus is Coming to Town
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

One of my favorites is pretty obscure these days-A Cosmic Christmas from 1977...

A Year without a Santa Clause is another favorite from when I was a kid.

Another favorite is the Bloom County Christmas special-A Wish for Wings that Work, but that's from my college years not childhood, and I was big into Bill and Opus when I was at university though I got into that strip in high school.

I love some of the classics too-Charlie Brown (the Vince Guaraldi Trio soundtrack is my favorite Christmas music), Rudolph, Frosty especially.

-M
      Last edited by MRP; Dec 3, '18, 12:55 AM.
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
        One of my favorites is pretty obscure these days-A Cosmic Christmas from 1977...
        Wowzers, I actually remember that. That reminds me, all the Nelvana specials in the 70s were pretty trippy.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Academy Award Winner, 1972, Best Animated Film.

Criminally overlooked. Impossible to find on Home Video. Yet lavishly animated. Every frame is a masterpiece of linework.

Richard Williams / Chuck Jones version of A Christmas Carol.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the 70's there was a Christmas cartoon that had animals that could talk the night Jesus was born.

They never show it on TV anymore

Maybe I dreamed it

Comment

• knight errant00
              8 Inch Action Figure
              • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
              Back in the 70's there was a Christmas cartoon that had animals that could talk the night Jesus was born.
              Maybe I dreamed it
              Not this, but the first thing you made me think of:

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                Maybe I dreamed it
                Ah, here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ni...Animals_Talked

Evidently only aired four times. Here it is on YouTube:

Last edited by knight errant00; Dec 3, '18, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

'Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown' and 'The Year Without A Santa Claus' for me, too. Also, 'Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas.'

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Hedji
                    Academy Award Winner, 1972, Best Animated Film.

Criminally overlooked. Impossible to find on Home Video. Yet lavishly animated. Every frame is a masterpiece of linework.

Richard Williams / Chuck Jones version of A Christmas Carol.

Oh yeah. I've loved this one as long as I can remember. I've always had a particular affinity for Dickens work because of it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Alastair Sim returns as Scrooge in that as well, another reason to love it.

That's a great one. All the Rankin/Bass specials are great, but my personal favorite is Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, my favorite "origin" for Santa.

Charlie Brown and Garfield are must-watches. Garfield gets the wife verklept every year.

I didn't get to see it for years and years, but I'm fond of Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol as well.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

I always enjoyed The Year Without a Santa Claus.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Oh, and I’m a sucker for the Christmas episode of almost any classic sitcom. I might not even like the series that much, but if they had a Christmas episode...

I guess that really doesn’t qualify as a “special,” though 😄
                          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                            Still Old School
                            • Feb 14, 2008

There are just so many.......if I had to pick a favorite, I'd flip flop between Frosty the Snowman and Santa Comes to Town.
                            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Allie Fox
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              I didn't get to see it for years and years, but I'm fond of Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol as well.

Chris
                              This. It may be my all time fave even above Charlie Brown, Frosty, Rudolph and the other R-B greats.

For some reason Christmas in Pacland is a perennial must watch. Boomerang would show it around midnight on Christmas Eve and I would actually interrupt the A Christmas Story marathon to watch it. The last couple of years I've streamed it before the marathon since Boomerang no longer plays it.
                              If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎