X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Vinyl restorer?

Will the vinyl restorer for automotive interiors work on toys? Thank you.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

what are you trying to do?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I have a toy with suction cups. The cups are slightly oxidized and hardened, but not cracked. They don't really need to function, but I'd like to halt any further deterioration and spiff them up.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        I have a toy with suction cups. The cups are slightly oxidized and hardened, but not cracked. They don't really need to function, but I'd like to halt any further deterioration and spiff them up.
        Yes. I recommend 303 aerospace protectant. It's the best product on the market as far as restoring and preserving plastic goes.

I won't get into the technical side too much, but this will restore the plasticizers in your old toys (or other plastics, vinyls, etc...) and even give them that factory shine they had when you first bought them.

There are other products out there which can do something similar, such as Black Magic's Pro Shine Protectant and Armor All protectant, but I don't recommend them if you can afford 303. Black Magic is oil based. That means it will give you a bit more shine, but since it's oil based, you will feel it if you want to pick the toy (or other item) up and handle it. 303 is water-based, which means it won't leave the toy feeling sticky after it dries.

Armor All I do not recommend at all. It will degrade the original plasticizers over time, meaning you will need to put a new coat on from time to time to add in more of Armor All's plasticizers.

303 was originally designed for aerospace and aviation applications. Once you spray your toy (or other item) and polish it, you'll restore the item and protect it from further decay for years to come. Read some of the Amazon reviews if you'd like.

I've been collecting and restoring vintage toys for years, and 303 simply can't be beat, in my opinion.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you for the advice.

Comment

• Liu Bei
            Banned
            • Mar 31, 2018

Thank you for the advice.
            Yes, sir. If you use it, let me know what you think. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
              One eyed, wonder
              • Dec 17, 2009

Wow! I would have thought it was Armor All. Thanks so much.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                Wake Up Heavy
                • Jan 31, 2010

And just a tip, click through the options. Currently the 16 oz. bottle is cheaper than the 10 oz. bottle.
                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks IM, I couldn't find it at general retail today.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

The 303 worked rather nicely, and I appreciated that it was easy to clean up and not oily. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                      Banned
                      • Mar 31, 2018

The 303 worked rather nicely, and I appreciated that it was easy to clean up and not oily. Thanks for the advice.
                      Glad it worked. I usually clean the item, spray it, and let it sit for 24 hours. The difference is night and day.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎