X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Early Aquaman Type 1 figures...

To the members that really do collect them all, and for us that would like to learn something new:

Early version Aquaman Type 1 figures...There are nylon shorts and canvas style shorts? I've seen a couple of auctions recently that have Type 1 Aquaman figures with canvas style shorts. I only thought that the Type 1's came in Nylon shorts. Any help is gladly appreciated.
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

My T1 has fabric shorts. It is extremely unlikely this is a swap of some kind, as I acquired it from the original owner.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by B-Lister
      My T1 has fabric shorts. It is extremely unlikely this is a swap of some kind, as I acquired it from the original owner.
      Type 1's have nylon shorts. Fabric shorts are on Type 2 figures. The canvas style that I am talking about may be the transition from Type 1 to Type 2 outfits. It is a known in the Batman Mego figures from Type 1 to Type 2 transition. I don't remember seeing transition from Type 1 to Type 2 Aquaman figures or Superman figures. Now I am seeing a few of the Aquaman's showing up in auctions in the last month or so and either I never really paid attention to this...or it is a "new" discovery/information as far as Mego figures go. I know that I have never seen a Superman Type 1 with canvas style shorts. Then again, I've never seen a Orange cuffed Shazam figure until maybe the last week or so...and I've been doing this Mego thing since the Yahoo list.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

Don't know if this pic is going to be big enough to see the canvas shorts...but this is from one of the auctions I saw that had Aquaman Canvas shorts:

Hope that worked and it's big enough to see that they are in fact canvas and not nylon shorts.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
          Banned
          • Jun 23, 2001

Here's a slightly better closeup of the shorts. Also noticed the belt has 2 sewn threads parallel around the waist...which I think indicates early Type 1 and not transition. Either that or Mego was experimenting on and off with materials used in the early figures...which makes sense with all the variations of color/dyes fading etc.

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
            Type 1's have nylon shorts. Fabric shorts are on Type 2 figures. The canvas style that I am talking about may be the transition from Type 1 to Type 2 outfits. It is a known in the Batman Mego figures from Type 1 to Type 2 transition. I don't remember seeing transition from Type 1 to Type 2 Aquaman figures or Superman figures. Now I am seeing a few of the Aquaman's showing up in auctions in the last month or so and either I never really paid attention to this...or it is a "new" discovery/information as far as Mego figures go. I know that I have never seen a Superman Type 1 with canvas style shorts. Then again, I've never seen a Orange cuffed Shazam figure until maybe the last week or so...and I've been doing this Mego thing since the Yahoo list.
            I sold an orange cuffed Shazam at the meet some years back. I assure you my T1 Aquaman is one owner, and it was in her collection as long as I can remember. It is not a frankenfigure.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

I sold an orange cuffed Shazam at the meet some years back. I assure you my T1 Aquaman is one owner, and it was in her collection as long as I can remember. It is not a frankenfigure.
              As I was just looking one Ebay I came across this...so you are indeed correct sir...Type 1 with fabric shorts also exists. Sewn on sleeves is a type 1 trademark when it comes to Mego Type 1 figures...and I have never seen a Type 1 Aquaman with fabric shorts...and here it is in it's glory Learn something new every day:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquaman-MEG...cAAOSwSixbRrKE

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

0ABCBD05-76E7-420C-9C46-B3FD0294410E.jpg8A39D3E0-4FF4-409A-A1D4-E88EEB51DC6F.jpg

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

I don't know then. My T1 doesn't have sewn on sleeves, so I'm now slightly confused.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

I don't know then. My T1 doesn't have sewn on sleeves, so I'm now slightly confused.
                    Could be 1 of 2 things...the original owner had a Type 2 Aquaman that they took the outfit off of...or again, transition...Mego had some Type 1's still left in the arsenal so to speak and put it in the newer outfits that didn't have sewn on sleeves...which is also possible. The non sewn on sleeves for the most part, 90% +, are Type 2 outfits.

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

I defer to your knowledge on the matter. I'm more inclined to believe transitional, but can't swear to it as I have no additional evidence.

Comment

• megozilla13
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 10, 2002

I have one of each..... the canvas I have has sewn on sleeves but I imaging they can exist without, the nylon can have either, the fabric, Ive only seen with the non sewn on sleeves.

mikej
                        WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by megozilla13
                          I have one of each..... the canvas I have has sewn on sleeves but I imaging they can exist without, the nylon can have either, the fabric, Ive only seen with the non sewn on sleeves.

mikej
                          Kind of figured you would know Mike. Have you ever seen a Superman with Canvas style shorts?

Comment

• megozilla13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 10, 2002

I've never seen a Superman. Just Aquaman and Batman. Maybe the material only existed in black.
                            WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

^That's what I've always assumed, too. My opinion was influenced by Holcomb's book.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎