Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Of course a single choice is somewhat silly, but for life and creative impact, Apocalypse Now… saw it at the drive-in as a kid, left a deep impression which led to an education about the source material, Coppola's obsession/drive, making-of-hyjinks, music, and a stunning art/war film (Redux!) that I'm always mesmerized by regardless of age.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

To all of you who posted multiple movies...YOU ARE CHEATING!!!

You think it was easy for me to post just one??? Of course not, I struggled mightily...as I have different favorites in different film genres.

Stick to ONE...and only ONE...or else, no soup for you...

sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Hector

You think it was easy for me to post just one??? Of course not, I struggled mightily...as I have different favorites in different film genres.

Alien over Superman, are you freaking kidding me, bro?
        Terence Stamp with his timeless portrayal of the megalomaniac General Zod.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
          Alien over Superman, are you freaking kidding me, bro?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltOmrdVPmrI
          Oh great, nothing more aggravating them someone putting down my pick, especially the way you said it.

This is about our individual favorite, correct?

I already said ALIEN. You want me to change my movie because you say so?

I saw ALIEN with my late father back in 1979. I have a deep emotional connection to that movie, it always gives me thrills. That’s why 98% of my collection is ALIEN/ALIENS themed. While I do love Superman, I do not connect that movie with my late father. And it’s not like ALIEN is junk...it’s a friggin CLASSIC.

Instead of you putting other people’s opinions down, you should go ahead and post a pick of your own.

And why out of all the posters’ picks. Why bullseye me?

You think I like everyone’s individual picks here? No, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to criticize them for it, I respect their opinions...they like what they like, same as me.

ALIEN is the greatest sci-fi-horror movie ever in my opinion...and that’s my opinion, the only one that counts in my book...

...bro....
          Last edited by Hector; Nov 24, '18, 8:05 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Heh, heh... I might have been able to single one out had the original question said, "Anybody got a favorite Sci-fi movie?" or "Anybody got a favorite drama?" But I had a hard time separating the different genres. Citizen Kane may be a classic, but if you're not in the mood for it, Big Trouble in Little China might just ring your bell.

Of course you're right... But picking just one movie is haaaaaaarrrrddddd.

Comment

• toothaction
              Career Member
              • Jul 15, 2017

That's the spirit! We all have our ever shifting lists, the many entertainments we love for any number of reasons, but I was curious about who among us actually has a film in their mind that genuinely rises to the level of being their unquestionable favorite. For me, I always have a different idea of my favorite this or that, and pinning down a top 10 of anything involves the most agonizing of soul searching, with constant revisions and restructuring, but when it comes to this topic, as has happened many times over the years, when I'm not even thinking about it the same flick just casually comes to mind.

If you want to talk solid favorite from genre to genre, though, that's where the problems begin!
              Last edited by toothaction; Nov 24, '18, 8:38 PM.
              >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Anyone who answered anything but Star Wars is lying to us or to themselves.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Most people have multiple favorite movies.

You have a favorite you can see again and again.

You have a favorite that you save and watch sparingly so you don't wear it out.

You have a favorite technical movie that's perfect in every way.

You have favorite fun movie that just makes you feel good.

Nobody can name just one movie that fits all of the above

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Brue

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Brue
                      It was at one point in my life, but tastes change. My favorite cereal used to be Honey Combs, but now I dislike sugary cereals, strictly a plain Corn Flakes and Cheerios man nowadays.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                        Heh, heh... I might have been able to single one out had the original question said, "Anybody got a favorite Sci-fi movie?" or "Anybody got a favorite drama?" But I had a hard time separating the different genres. Citizen Kane may be a classic, but if you're not in the mood for it, Big Trouble in Little China might just ring your bell.

Of course you're right... But picking just one movie is haaaaaaarrrrddddd.
                        Exactly. Super tough to just pick one.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by toothaction
                          That's the spirit! We all have our ever shifting lists, the many entertainments we love for any number of reasons, but I was curious about who among us actually has a film in their mind that genuinely rises to the level of being their unquestionable favorite. For me, I always have a different idea of my favorite this or that, and pinning down a top 10 of anything involves the most agonizing of soul searching, with constant revisions and restructuring, but when it comes to this topic, as has happened many times over the years, when I'm not even thinking about it the same flick just casually comes to mind.

If you want to talk solid favorite from genre to genre, though, that's where the problems begin!
                          Yuuuup!

sigpic

Comment

• toothaction
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 15, 2017

If objectively is the new subjectively, then yes, Alien is an objectively superior film to Superman.

I suspect Mr. Marion was joshing you, Hector. It's just that his avatar looks so dag serious.
                            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by toothaction
                              If objectively is the new subjectively, then yes, Alien is an objectively superior film to Superman.

I suspect Mr. Marion was joshing you, Hector. It's just that his avatar looks so dag serious.
                              Thank you!

On him joshing me, perhaps, perhaps not...

I usually don’t get emotional on disagreements, but when there’s a connection between film and a long gone loved one, and it gets dismissed, you react in a certain way...it’s just natural...
                              Last edited by Hector; Nov 24, '18, 11:07 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• apes3978
                                Permanent Member
                                • Nov 19, 2005

"Planet of the Apes" (1968!)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎