X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Do you stuff your turkey ?

Back in the day my ma would always stuff it, (mix of onion and stale bread) ... tasted great and we never got sick.

Today "experts" act like stuffing your turkey is like playing with dynamite.

Just wondering what you do ?
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

I dont' place the stuffing inside the turkey because we like our stuffing toasty, not soggy.

Stuffing goes into a separate oven tray.

Toasty stuffing with gravy, yum.
    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Also by not placing stuffing inside bird, you have room for onions, apples, carrots, celery, etc, tastier turkey.
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I'm with Hector on both points. (I also put whole garlic cloves inside the turkey to roast, then I add one to my mashed potatoes.)

I haven't stuffed a turkey in years. Besides, my dressing is too good to waste as stuffing.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Stuffing not placed in a bird is dressing.

I do stuff the bird, but only for the purposes of adding flavor and moisture to the it. I bake the dressing for consumption.

Last year, I purchased a fresh turkey that had been brined. It did cost about twice as much, but it was twice as good. I was impressed as I didn’t expect such a big difference. I went with a never frozen turkey because, though I’d always follow the defrosting guidelines, the cavity always remained frozen. I hated dealing with that surprise.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I'd love to try a fresh turkey, people swear by them. I do a dry brine on a defrosted one. I just stuff with aromatics: onion, garlic, lemon, sometimes some orange or apple.

Ach, I could discuss Thanksgiving dinner all day. I'm off work and doing a lot of prepping.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 21, '18, 12:43 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

BTW, this year we are bypassing the whole turkey. We are going by sections...with just breast, wings, and tails (the bacon of turkey).

The household for the most part dislikes dark meat, so no thighs nor legs.
              sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
                I dont' place the stuffing inside the turkey because we like our stuffing toasty, not soggy.

Stuffing goes into a separate oven tray.

Toasty stuffing with gravy, yum.
                This ^^^^

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                  Stuffing not placed in a bird is dressing.
                  True, lol.

Will be having bread-based dressing...

We are going with Trader Joe’s stuffing. Will be making two different “dressings”, cornbread and conventional...

Added to that mixture, chopped celery, mushrooms, onions, mild Italian sausage, eggs, butter, yum...

P.S. Usually I go for Jimmy Dean sausage, but tomorrow this will take it’s place, it’s pretty darn tasty...

sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
                    BTW, this year we are bypassing the whole turkey. We are going by sections...with just breast, wings, and tails (the bacon of turkey).

The household for the most part dislikes dark meat, so no thighs nor legs.
                    The only problem with that is you don't get decent drippings.

I love my drippings gravy even more than I like the bird itself

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                      This ^^^^

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                        The only problem with that is you don't get decent drippings.

I love my drippings gravy even more than I like the bird itself
                        True. But this year I’m going for a different cooked turkey. I’m marinating it...will feature a dry rub too, almost like a barbecue turkey. I felt like changing things up.

But yes, will miss the drippings this year.

P.S. You like turkey tails? I bought a packets with six tails. They are fatty and super delicious...
                        sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

All sounds super great! I I wish I lived closer to any of you,
                          It assuming I’d be invited. Anyhow, this year, my wife and I are doing the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade from her 6th Ave/Avenue of The America’s office. They serve breakfast and we’ll watch for the warmth of her office. Then we have reservation for a traditional dinner at a near by restaurant. We are only doing this because after this year HBO (and their sister station CNN) are moving to another part of Manhattan. So, this is our last opportunity. I think it will be a fun Thanksgiving.

I hope all of yours are great. I realize that it’s easier said than done, but try to enjoy it. Since you’re also the cooks, as am I, I know that it’s easy to work so hard and be so caught up that you don’t take the time to enjoy it, even though you’re taking pride in all of your hard work.

- Ian

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Thanks, Hec! Same to ya, but more of it!

- Ian

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎